IP camera question

Our Eye's under the water.
Tormlake

IP camera question

Post by Tormlake »

For my rov, I'm planning on using an ip camera to record video. The camera I'm looking at (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Webcam ... 43a5212112) has an Ethernet outlet and I was wondering can i use a cat-5 cable to connect the camera directly to a laptop?
ROVER3D

Re: IP camera question

Post by ROVER3D »

Think about using Webcam (ipcam). You are not able to record best quality directly by cam. You need a seperate application (running in background) for record. If you loose connection, your laptop crashed or something else there is no video recorded.

Its worst that there is only an expensive way to get high quality (HD) video to surface. But after diving you can watch your video in HD if you choose a CAM with record-function in the rov...

Else you will need a wide-range-optic. I dont know any ipcam with wide angle...

There is only one thing WHY we go down, because of what we will see. So please dont save money on cam. Special tip: Use Gopro Hero 1 or 2. Easy to connect, high quality and you will get a good deal (with waterproof housing) at ebay...
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Your camera looks exactly the same as mine, that is, a copy of a Foscam. If the firmware and the supplied utility disc that comes with the camera can change the camera's IP adress, then YES, you can connect direct to the PC, not through a router as was recommended. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=997#p5043

I changed the IP address easily to 169.254.233.196 and direct connection works no worries. Different PC may need different numbers. I had Googled "IP cam direct connection" or something similar and found yet another camera's instruction manual and got those numbers from there.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Tormlake,

Mostly it depends on your laptop if the network port does autosensing, if not you can always use a patch cable, this is an utp cable with some of the wires a bit different mixed. But all modern laptops are autosensing, so you are probaly safe.

Fryslan76
seadog

Post by seadog »

As fryslan76 said, the network port on your laptop should be autosensing if it is a modern laptop(otherwise you would need a "cross-over" cable).

Also, by setting up a static IP on your laptop that is close to your camera's IP then I believe you should be good to go. (i.e. set camera IP: 192.168.0.110 and set your laptop static IP: 192.168.0.115).

Cheers!