DC current safety question

Spot for your general beginner questions.
zpyder

DC current safety question

Post by zpyder »

I really am a beginner in electronics, despite somehow managing to get a working ROV built!

The guide I followed suggested using a Car jump-starter battery, that runs on 12v dc, as it would be "safe" to use in a pool situation.

Being the complete beginner that I am, I'm wondering what this means.

All I have found out so far is that AC would be worse.

I'm also curious what would happen in the event of the battery getting knocked into the pool or something.

I'm asking as so far I've only tested the ROV in shallow and very murky water. I'd love to test it out, and practice its controls, in a pool. I likely would have the opportunity during some dive club pool sessions, but I want to be informed on any risks, whether it's safe to do, or would be best to find somewhere else with clear water and no people in it, to test it out. The ROV has a 15a fuse wired in just after the power connector.
jsut210

Re: DC current safety question

Post by jsut210 »

You shouldn't run into many problems of your voltage is only 12v. You may damage the battery of it is submerged, but the electricity shouldn't be an issue. Also, I'm guessing it's a lead acid battery, so I'll also add that it may leak acid into the water if you get it wet.
thegadgetguy

Re: DC current safety question

Post by thegadgetguy »

You should be fine. 12 Volts is a pretty safe voltage, all things considered. As far as I can tell, those car jump packs have sealed lead acid batteries in them, so you wouldn't have to worry about acid leaking into the pool if you accidentally dropped it in. That would probably be your safest bet just starting out. Also, I like to try and anchor my tether to something solid topside, just so my controls/power supply can't get pulled into the water by accident. Good luck!