Hydrostatic test of main pressure hull

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
leeinmt

Hydrostatic test of main pressure hull

Post by leeinmt »

Has anyone done a hydrostatic test on a 6 inch PVC hull sched 40?

Now that I got my motor housings built and connected with flex shaft to the four thrusters, I can now focus on the main pressure hull. It will hold the primary batteries, esc's, water leak sensors, and two HD video cameras (stereo).

I did this on my first little ROV 6 years ago using a paint pressure vessel from Harbor Freight. I added extra plumbing for filling it with water and extra clamps for the lid. It successfully tested my camera housing up to 200 psi before the paint container started to leak around the lid gasket. I modified a miniature grease gun to apply the pressure pumping water rather than grease.

I think I will try this again on an 8 inch section of my 6" pvc with 1" acrylic bulkheads sealed at each end.
Next step is to make the bulkheads. I scrounged the acrylic from the local plastics dealer and I think I will let him cut two circular pieces that I can chuck into my lathe to cut o-ring grooves that will fit on to the ends of the pvc tube.

Lee
a_shorething

Re: Hydrostatic test of main pressure hull

Post by a_shorething »

Please post the results of your 6" schedule 40 tests.

I have a 2" piece of schedule 40 and it's actually marked 280psi right on it. Not sure whether this only works on keeping water IN rather than out, but I'd love to hear the results of your test.

My main hull is going to be 6" schedule 40 as well. I don't expect to be going much more than 80-100 feet so I don't need THAT much, but I would like to know what is possible.