ROV thrut calculatin

Anything to do with Propulsion.
Omar Ihab Ali

ROV thrut calculatin

Post by Omar Ihab Ali »

I am askin if I can calculate the rov thrust from the motor specifications befor the practical test or not ??! and how the nozzel should be ?
Rover

Re: ROV thrut calculatin

Post by Rover »

The calculated thrust is a tough one to figure out. There are so many variables such as:

- What gauge wire is running to the thruster motor (this will control actual motor RPM, based on motor voltage)
- the type of motor you are using, such as brushed, brushless or even a sealed bilge pump motor
- prop style and performance (2 blade verse 3 blade)
- Pitch and diameter of the prop

The more aggressive the prop is the higher the amperage load of the motor will be. If the motor is to small for the prop you use, you will see the motor RPM decay, or even burn out of over loaded.

The nozzle, is a personnel preference, some ROV's have them some don't. They can be made from a variety of materials such as PVC pipe couplers or even custom made with a 3D printer.

Rover
Omar Ihab Ali

Post by Omar Ihab Ali »

thanks for reply, but i want to know if there a rule to calculate the force of the motor using these variables, and when the prop will be aggressive ?? , and what factors should i consider in designing the nozzel ?!
thanks a lot ;)
jsut210

Post by jsut210 »

I'm sure there are formulas that can be used, however they are very complex fluid dynamics calculations. They are waaay above me right now.