Plans For a Ducted Fan

Anything to do with Propulsion.
jsut210

Re: Plans For a Ducted Fan

Post by jsut210 »

I am pleased to announce that I received my order in the mail today! Also, I have assembled my first thruster module for testing. Based on what I'm seeing so far, I would HIGHLY recommend my setup to a beginner on a budget. I have included some pictures of my ducted fan thruster in this post. In case you missed the first post (or are too lazy to go back a page) here are the parts I am using.

Fan - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _64mm.html
Motor - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8474
ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... verse.html

**Note I had to modify the EDF unit to accept the larger motor. It claims to fit 28mm motors but in reality it can only fit about a 20m motor**

Thrust tests coming soon hopefully!

Gaby1723

Post by Gaby1723 »

hey, first let me start by introducing myself as this is my first post on this site. I am a senior engineering student from Miami fl, and im building an ROV as my final project. The first step I went through was choosing the motor - esc combo like you are. And let me tell you, it took a lot of research lol :roll: I also came up with the same setup you have, but im using 1000kv outrunners instead. They are great, and with those same edf fans you have, im only drawing approximately 4-5 amps at 9v. i am waiting on some video baluns to relay the video topside so that i can finally put her in the water and test her out! :D feel free to ask me any questions

jsut210

Post by jsut210 »

Wow, that looks great! What kind of battery are you using? Those lights also look really nice.
Gaby1723

Post by Gaby1723 »

the batteries are just regular rechargeable 9 volt batteries from some old icom handheld radios I had laying around. I am using two of them in parallel for longer run time. and the lights are cheap leds I found at a local auto store.
NWROV

Post by NWROV »

Yeah, i know this topic is crazy old, but figured I would post up my 2cents.

I bought a hobbyking ESC and it just never ran right. Something was really off, but their return policy is such that you might as well just eat the cost.

Then, I found headsuphobby.com. These guys are in Florida, ship quick (and cheap) and I have been real impressed with their quality. It is the small stuff, like having deans already wired on the ESC's and instructions that make sense. Personally, I like the HURC ESC's vs the

I used their zoom motor and matching ESC on my RC Airboat, and it handles the direct drive swinging a 7" 3 blade prop with zero problems AND does not get hot.
fireslayer26

Post by fireslayer26 »

NWROV wrote:Yeah, i know this topic is crazy old, but figured I would post up my 2cents.

I bought a hobbyking ESC and it just never ran right. Something was really off, but their return policy is such that you might as well just eat the cost.

Then, I found headsuphobby.com. These guys are in Florida, ship quick (and cheap) and I have been real impressed with their quality. It is the small stuff, like having deans already wired on the ESC's and instructions that make sense. Personally, I like the HURC ESC's vs the

I used their zoom motor and matching ESC on my RC Airboat, and it handles the direct drive swinging a 7" 3 blade prop with zero problems AND does not get hot.

I looked at that site but I could not find any car ESC's. You need an ESC with reverse function.
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Looks nice the photos. I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Allthough there was a note for a parcel in my mailbox today. So I kind of hope that the parcel contains my stuff. And on the other hand I hope the parcel is not for me since I then have to pay an additional 21 euro for the parcel (while the whole order I placed including shipping was 61 euro). Will find out in the up coming days this week.

Later
a_shorething

Post by a_shorething »

Gaby1723 wrote:hey, first let me start by introducing myself as this is my first post on this site. I am a senior engineering student from Miami fl, and im building an ROV as my final project. The first step I went through was choosing the motor - esc combo like you are. And let me tell you, it took a lot of research lol :roll: I also came up with the same setup you have, but im using 1000kv outrunners instead. They are great, and with those same edf fans you have, im only drawing approximately 4-5 amps at 9v. i am waiting on some video baluns to relay the video topside so that i can finally put her in the water and test her out! :D feel free to ask me any questions

That's a nice piece of kit! I especially like the cup holders in the top. :D

Have you done any kind of testing to make sure the design is water tight yet?

You should start a thread down in the 'Your ROV projects' section and post up more info and keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck with it.
Gaby1723

Post by Gaby1723 »

thank, all the electronics are housed in a 4" pvc thats completely sealed, and has a threaded cap in the back to remove the electronics tray. when looking at the back of it, you will see the sides and "wings" are completely open and allows water to circulate therefor avoiding any hydrostatic pressure. ill start a new thread and add some extra pics so you can see
a_shorething wrote:
Gaby1723 wrote:hey, first let me start by introducing myself as this is my first post on this site. I am a senior engineering student from Miami fl, and im building an ROV as my final project. The first step I went through was choosing the motor - esc combo like you are. And let me tell you, it took a lot of research lol :roll: I also came up with the same setup you have, but im using 1000kv outrunners instead. They are great, and with those same edf fans you have, im only drawing approximately 4-5 amps at 9v. i am waiting on some video baluns to relay the video topside so that i can finally put her in the water and test her out! :D feel free to ask me any questions

That's a nice piece of kit! I especially like the cup holders in the top. :D

Have you done any kind of testing to make sure the design is water tight yet?

You should start a thread down in the 'Your ROV projects' section and post up more info and keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck with it.