VideoRay Clone?

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
bigbadbob

Re: VideoRay Clone?

Post by bigbadbob »

I'm not sure about pressurising it with air as you may pop the seals.
Oil fill would be better if you can keep the oil away from the camera.
I have a connection for a vacuum pump so i can test for leaks and then backfill with dry nitrogen.
The advantages of working where i do ;-)
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

What do you plan on using to control your rov? What are you using for a tether?
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Ardunio Uno top side with a PS2 controller via rs232 to 485 back to 232 to another Ardunio Mega in the Rov. Fairly simple system. The Sub side will be controlling two roboclaw motor controllers driving the 3 thrusters, running two servos for tilt pan, and controlling a solid state relay for on/off for lights. 12 Volt system, with voltage dropped down inside sub for the 6v servos and 9v for Ardunio. I'm looking for another tether but for now, just use 8 core 20-22ish gauge or so cable. One wire for power, one for ground, 4 for communications and 1 for Video. I have a few sea conn connectors so I can keep tether separate from everything. I'll play around with cables to figure out optimal cable sizes and all that.
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

What Kinda foam are you using?
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

That's two pieces of syntactic foam glued together. I'll end up painting the block a nice bright yellow. Supposedly its very buoyant, even a good distance down.
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

Where did you get the syntactic foam from?
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I got my hunks from left over scraps from work. I goggled it and there's quite a few companies that have the stuff but I'm not sure what the price tag is.
ChaseNoble

Post by ChaseNoble »

How was the dome fit on the pipe?
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

I stuck the tube in a lathe and machined a slight recess so the dome actually sits inside snugly. I'm going to glue it in place and then seal it with poly urethane once I get all the internals sitting where I want them so I can slide the whole package in through the end cap.
Demon340

Actually looks like something now

Post by Demon340 »

Got my side pods mounted, and yes its tilted to one side, the pods are pretty darn straight for eyeballing the holes. The carriage is crooked but I'll straighten that out shortly. I have the pods mounted with male/male 3/8" pipe fittings for my wire pass thru. They will be pipe taped on the threads then polyurethaned or epoxy resined around edges to ensure water integrity. I have chunks of syntactic foam in a oval shape over the top of pipe sandwiched between the two parts on both sides for aesthetic appeal and strength once there all glued together.
Attachments
IMAG0059.jpg
IMAG0059.jpg (359.67 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
IMAG0058.jpg
IMAG0058.jpg (328.67 KiB) Viewed 2714 times