Raspberry Pi camera board

Our Eye's under the water.
ponken6

Raspberry Pi camera board

Post by ponken6 »

Hey guys, what do you think about having this camera onboard a ROV? http://www.adafruit.com/products/1367

It costs 30 dollars and is very tiny, it also has great resolution. 1080p/30fps (!)

I'm planning on mounting one of those on my future ROV.

Tell me what you think about this little piece of awsomeness!
dna1990

Re: Raspberry Pi camera board

Post by dna1990 »

If it has good low-light performance and you are going Pi for control, sounds great and very affordable.

Unless using a clear dry box approach with camera in same (akin to OpenROV), then you might need to work out a round cable approach to better exit the dry box and reach the camera location.

Could it handle multiple cameras?
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Using it for an ROV was actually my plan for the RasPi camera when I bought it.

My only real complaint about it is that I wanted to incorporate a pan/tilt system and the flat cable it uses to connect to the RasPi isn't exactly super bend/flex friendly. It probably won't be a problem, especially if you are going to have a static camera but its something to consider.

I haven't really played that much with the video quality yet since everything is still in the early phases of what to use and how to code. Tho from the little I have played with it, it seems like a competent little camera.
ROVER3D

Post by ROVER3D »

Please be careful using PCB-Cameras with fixed-optic. YOU NEED FISHEYE (120°+) to navigate your ROV under water. This cam i think its about 70°. Ask divers who professional film under water...