Hull penetrations.

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
bigbadbob

Hull penetrations.

Post by bigbadbob »

Heres a pic of my new hull penetrations where the thruster cables enter the hull.

The three stainless glands on top are pneumatic fittings made by "Legris" with taper threads that screw into the pvc hull.
The 8mm od pneumatic pipe push fits into these just like push fit plumbing fittings.
The piece of cable in the top one is a test piece (the brass ones are blanking plugs)and is 6mm od cable which is a tight fit in the 8mm pnumatic pipe and will be glued on the final build but it passes the vaccum test no problem.
The vacuum test only simulates down to 10m but gives a good indication that all is well.
Hope this helps someone.
rossrov

Re: Hull penetrations.

Post by rossrov »

I reckon some folks will use this - good call Bob. The animation, if I'm looking at the same thing, says it all http://www.legris.com/Legris_ecom/displ ... LF3600.swf
Is the collet with the tubing in loose at all without internal pressure? If so maybe some way of locking it?
Like the clear acrylic bulkhead too.

Ross
bigbadbob

Post by bigbadbob »

Nice anaimation, yes that's the thing. The release ring is a little loose feeling but doesnt let you pull the pipe out. you could easily wrap some wax cord or somesuch around under the ring to stop it accidentally getting pushed down and releasing the pipe but i think that would be a belt and braces approach, belt and braces always good underwater. :D
the pipe is pretty ridgid so doesnt need internal pressure to keep it's shape.
Zaibach

Post by Zaibach »

Cool beans, I was actually thinking about using pneumatic push fits but I wasn't totally sure they would work. Seeing as sometimes things that are good at keeping pressure in aren't always the best at keeping it out and vice versa.

Always good to have another fairly common, readily available and semi local hardware option :)