Wireless rov

Spot for your general beginner questions.
Atle.norway

Wireless rov

Post by Atle.norway »

Say i wan to make an wireless rov.how does being underwater affect radio signals.
And is it posible to boost the signal .i was thinking making an enclosed box with electronics and servos
Inside .and only have bilge pump engines in direct contact with the water.
Also wireless camera .can i send camera signals to the surface?
fryslan76

Re: Wireless rov

Post by fryslan76 »

Hi Atle,

Radio signals don't work well underwater. Atleast not much deeper then a swiming pool.

Regards,

Fryslan76
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

But up to 10 meters and get a signal booster?
ROVEnthusiast

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

Well, I would guess that would not work very well. Either way, it would be cheaper and easier just to use a tether.
Zackro

Post by Zackro »

I saw an ROV on the net somewhere a couple of months ago that was kind of wireless. The ROV had a tether that connected to a float; the float had a wireless transmitter and receiver that communicated to the operator's controller. Not a bad idea imo, and if you can rig up a system to manage the tether the float can stay directly above the ROV letting you know where it is. Has anyone seen/done this?
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

Talked to a friend.him and me used to play with nitro model cars some years ago.anyway
Just a thin eletric wire with a floater like you said will do the trick.i of course gonna fit it with a signal booster,and a (dont know english word for it) call it a signal cutter,it cut power if you get out of reach of the signal,very cool to have.my friend and i didnt know of these and started our new nitro 50 mph model cars.it went out of reach suddenly hit full throttle and disapered into the woods.not cool
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Post by KR2_Diving »

sorry atle, but I had to laugh at the image of a nitro car suddenly rocketing off into the woods! :lol:
Atle.norway

Post by Atle.norway »

Guess it is pretty funny.hehe
Car was found and lesson learned,use a signal cutter,and always turn on controller first ,car second