Reversing cameras

Our Eye's under the water.
jeff

Reversing cameras

Post by jeff »

Has enyone use a revrseing camera as fitted to large lorrys Etc. I see that some come complete with a colour moniter. These cameras must be totaly waterproof already due to the exposed enviroment they are used in.. I've seen them on e-bay for £40.00p with free post.. any thoughts would be usefull. Happy sinkings JEFF
fluxno

Re: Reversing cameras

Post by fluxno »

waterproof does not mean that its pressure proof. the camera is probably just watertight down to 1meter depth for up 30minutes (IP65)
a different approach would be to use a fishing camera, that also come with a monitor, and usually a cable of 30meters or so. but then are designed to a specific depth. note that you must seal good around the cable if youre running it inside a electronics container or similar.
https://www.google.no/search?q=fishing+ ... 20&bih=911 (the top rov has some examples of what i mean)

for great depths you will need a good pressure container with dome or thick transparent view port.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Hi Fluxo, Many thanks for the info. The reason I suggested reversing cameras was that they come with colour moniter as a package. I thought I'de have to seal the camera and extend the cable, wich would be no prob. I have a fish camera but its in monochrome, if my overhead lights work ok I'll have nice colour and a wide angle view all the way to cable limit. If water does get into the housing I've made for it , it wont screw up the electronics of the camera.. Happy diveings mate.JEFF
fluxno

Post by fluxno »

then it seems like a good idea, some of the reverse cameras also have IR lights as well, that could help with the visibility.
jeff

Post by jeff »

Thanks Fluxno, I,ll get one, seal the camera and try it out of the bridge of my local lake, will let all know the result. happy diveings......
Mgbss

Post by Mgbss »

I know this is an old post but I will post this anyway.

I built a underwater camera from a Back up camera worked pretty well but they are usually Mirror Image at least mine is so everything is Backwards :o