Otterbox

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
ROVEnthusiast

Otterbox

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

I am using an otterbox for my undersea electronics and I am wondering if you guys have any ideas about how to make waterproof penetraters for the wires exiting from the waterproof container?
ROVEnthusiast

Re: Otterbox

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

Also they need to be waterproof to at least 60 feet.
m_g

Post by m_g »

I am also using otterboxes for my enclosures (not waterproof yet). I have epoxied two large cable glands into the top of the box. When I need to waterproof it, I probably wont tighten the gland (will just create gaps that are hard to waterproof), but I will just make a plug for one end of the gland, and then fill the gland with more epoxy (with the wires stripped and kept separated)
ROVEnthusiast

Post by ROVEnthusiast »

Thank you! The only question I have is: did you actually use epoxy on the threads to seal it with the otterbox? If not, how did you waterproof it?
m_g

Post by m_g »

I have epoxied the threads, however, the nut of the gland sits flush on top of the otterbox. This nut is epoxied to the otterbox, so I believe the gland will be waterproofed at that point, ie water will not penetrate past the nut, so water will not be in contact with the threads. I will also be using marine Sikaflex to add an extra waterproofing layer around the gland/otterbox interface....As I mentioned, it has not been trialled yet, so I can't speak for it's effectiveness....Cheers
jonnyhas

Post by jonnyhas »

Hello rove,
I have epoxied my cables into glands and then epoxied the gland to the otter box, these will be non removable except with a bit of work cutting and scraping if I won't to change them.

Cheers jonny