Anyone have source: inexpensive waterproof potentiometer?

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Garagescience

Anyone have source: inexpensive waterproof potentiometer?

Post by Garagescience »

Anyone got a source for an inexpensive waterproof potentiometer?

Here's why: I'm making a waterproof metal detector for myself/ ROV, and when I'm not able to use the ROV, I want to be on the beach/surf with the metal detector. The technology of the detector (pulse induction) requires adjustment for ground conditions and sensitivity by potentiometers.

As far as the potentiometers I've heard of using o rings on the pot shaft, filling pot with mineral oil, using magnetically actuated membrane potentiometers (expensive), and even I thought of actuating regular rotary pots with magnets on both shaft and knob separated by acrylic (kind of like magnetically coupled thrusters). Just thought someone might have an actual source for something REAL, not cobbled together, and inexpensive! Here's hoping, anyway for an elegant solution..

As far as adjustment of controls by ROV, want the metal detector together first, then will maybe rework to retrofit on ROV (detector is much easier project to finish, and I need a confidence builder before tackling the full ROV with detector!)

Thanks all.
Garagescience

Re: Anyone have source: inexpensive waterproof potentiometer

Post by Garagescience »

No replies..

Might go with apm Hexseal rotary shaft seal. "Cheap" at about $3.5USD per each.

Probably good for controller box potentiometer seals as well..