ROV-in-a-box kit

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
sailman

ROV-in-a-box kit

Post by sailman »

Am am assembling two "ROV-in-a-box" and made some modifications including a 24 volt option. Have also installed batteries and control box in a portable file box case for ease of operation.

Has anyone had any experience with this kit? Any suggestions on improving the build?
simpleben77

Re: ROV-in-a-box kit

Post by simpleben77 »

I built one a few years back and it was ideal for me being electrically inept.. I think speed controllers and counter rotating props was going to be my next step but opted to build my own with better materials i.e motors and mounting the motors. i dont like using pvc for 2 reasons. 1.) it gets air trapped in the frame. even though i drilled holes in it to let it escape it annoyed me. 2.) i think pvc looks kinda tacky... even when painted however that is my opinion... but being a beginner it was cheap and easy to work with.
sailman

Re: ROV-in-a-box kit

Post by sailman »

Simpleben... Yes the materials included in the kit aren't really that great. I was given a rov-in-a-box that needed repair. The video cable connector failed due to lack of strain relief. Also a connector for the battery became intermittent, probably due to corrosion. I replaced the video cable with one cannibalized from a TV/DVD cable and replaced the battery connector with a two pin connector designed for trailer connections.

With that said the rov-in-a-box is a good, relatively low cost kit to get into ROV building. It appears to be intended for a short term student project rather than for repeated use as might be the case by a hobbyist.

As mentioned above, I am currently assembly two new kits and including the above mods as well as adding a battery indicator display and packaging the batteries, monitor and controller in a modified file box. The harness will also have strain reliefs at the control box and where it comes out of the file box. That will improve reliability as these ROV's will be used repeatedly by various school groups.

Have also opted for the 24 volt option, as mentioned, so that an operator fighting strong currents can power through them. Will also put in a switch to be able to choose 12 or 24 volts. The thrusters are designed to operate on 12 volts and could be damaged if run continually on 24 volts. The operator should only use the 24 volt option when needed rather than routine.

To reduce premature battery failure I have included a two stage charger. One stage charges, if left on, have a tenancy to over charging and permanent damage a sealed lead acid battery. As mentioned, it will have a rugged connector so it can be moved from one battery to another (the 24 volt option has two) and from one ROV to another. It was only $16 on line with free shipping and a lot cheaper than replacing a battery at $25. The connectors were about $5.

Also purchased inexpensive portable LCD TV's for monitors, Pegasus ST09-B. They have poor ratings when used for on air TV but, so far, work OK as ROV monitors. Time will tell. For the price, $59, they are through away devices . Not a bad deal for electronics used around water.