Current work in progress.

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
PaulC

Current work in progress.

Post by PaulC »

Hey all,
I am currently in the design stage, but about to start this week on the construction of the frame. Attached is a copy of the overall design that I came up with. Please note that since the original design shown, and since the economy is not that great that some design aspects have changed like I am now reusing old bilge motors with props instead of machined housings. The frame has also changed a bit, but I like the new one better. At any rate take a look at the picture.
Attachments
fish6a.jpg
fish6a.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
Carlos D

Re: Current work in progress.

Post by Carlos D »

Hi Paul, looks like a winner! Keep us posted about your progress, and good luck!
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I need to get some pictures up of what I have so far, but I had a minor set back I was trying to figure out how the mount points were going to work and managed to break one of the side plates. :cry:
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Hey gang,

I just wanted to show you all how the new ROV is shaping up. What you all are seeing is the main frame that will house two polycarbonate tubes that will have the camera and the electronics. In between the two tubes there will be the vertical thruster or thrusters can't decide, but leaning towards two thrusters for balance and ease of attaching. On the outside of the frame I will be mounting the left and right thrusters, lights, hydrophone, pressure sensors, and maybe a compass. Then outside of that I am putting those other two side plates to act as guards to protect the motors, lights and sensor array's. It will look just like the original picture, but obviously the guards are now plastic. The guards are the ones that have the hammerhead sharks carved into the plastic. :D There is still a ton of work to be done, but I have all winter to work on it. Since there is about three to four inches of snow on the ground right now and it is bloody cold out side I figure that there is nothing else better to do than work on the new ROV.
Attachments
100_1087.JPG
100_1087.JPG (201.8 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
100_1086.JPG
100_1086.JPG (184.5 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
100_1084.JPG
100_1084.JPG (186.5 KiB) Viewed 5663 times
robe_uk

Post by robe_uk »

Hi Paul,
Great looking frames and love the color :D Have you cut them by hand or cnc machine?

Rob
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

All the pieces that you see were cut by hand.
chance

Post by chance »

Wow, seriously good attention to detail!

-Chance
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

I got all the cross struts made last night, and will post pictures in a day or two. Just on a side note this ROV is gonna be extremely strong frame wise as well as versatile. If anyone would like me to send them any plans that I have I will make them available to the public. Just remember folks that this is a design in progress so as I build it is 80% from the plans and 20% tinkering. :D
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Oh, I forgot to mention in the earlier post when I said that I got "all" the cross struts built last night that; that does not include getting the curved side guards in place. Still trying to find a place local that can curve my about 3/8 inch high density polyethylene plastic to a one foot diameter.
sthone

Post by sthone »

WOW, :shock: That's looking really good, I'm impressed you did all that by hand, Great Work.

-Steve