Fibre optic communication

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
electronicscrazy

Fibre optic communication

Post by electronicscrazy »

I came across these whilst i was researching fibre optic control systems and i was wondering what people thought of them and/or wether anyone has used a similar system before?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002M39VAS/r ... B002M39VAS
bikerbones1968

Re: Fibre optic communication

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I use similar media converters on alarm systems at work. They do work great. The only down side is the phyical size and if you have enough room for it. You need one topside and one unit onboard. This unit is 5VDC operated so you have to consider voltage regulators will be needed in conjunction.
electronicscrazy

Post by electronicscrazy »

The only thing i'm worried about is that if it doesn't work with the arduino ethernet shield.
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I would think if it work over copper it should work over fiber. But I am in no way an expert. I use copper to fiber converters on many different comunication/data signals I deal with in alarm systems.
87TurboIroc

Post by 87TurboIroc »

This is what I am hoping to do as well. I want to make two Arduinos communicate via Ethernet. I will have a network switch onboard as well which will allow me to use one or more IP cameras alongside the Arduino connection. There should be no issue getting the Ethernet module to communicate across one of these media converters. I would recommend looking at the TRENDnet TFC-110 MST (st connectors) or TRENDnet TFC-110 MSC (sc connectors). These units are priced right (around $55 USD) and have been totally reliable for me. They are designed to come out of the metal case with a single screw (as they can be mounted into a rack mount chasis), have a low voltage/wattage requirement (5.0-7.5v and 1.8 watts) and support a fiber length of nearly 2000 meters.
fluxno

Post by fluxno »

out of curiosity; why do you need fiber? are you having a tether longer than 100meter?(300ft)
i have very good experience with blackbox media converters, they are realy slim and robust. but they are fairly expensive compared to the other mentioned in this thread.
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Results.a ... 4294953610