Heat Sinking of Electronics

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
onibnasir

Heat Sinking of Electronics

Post by onibnasir »

All the circuitry that I am going to use in my ROV would be packed into a waterproof compartment inside the ROV. The problem is that this compartment is not going to be ventilated and the circuitry would get hot during operation. What are the methods through which I can provide a heat sink to my circuitry?
bikerbones1968

Re: Heat Sinking of Electronics

Post by bikerbones1968 »

I think this would depend on a lot of variables. How much heat is being generated to start with. Can the equipment onboard work in a hot environment? The big issue within a ROV is where or how to get rid of excess heat? So here is an idea I have and it should work.

If you have an aluminium hull for instance use the HULL itself as the heat sink by attaching components directly to the hull surface.
(Downside moisture in the air trapped in the structure and the drastic differential in temperature causing condensation)

To correct the above condensation issue, place a vacuum on your hull, remove the moist air or as much as possible and replace the volume extracted with an inert gas like nitrogen. If no hydrogen or oxygen is present you shouldn't have to worry about condensation forming and you have adequate heat sink and cooling.

Just a thought!