Questions for first ROV build

Spot for your general beginner questions.
darrenervine

Questions for first ROV build

Post by darrenervine »

All,
Thanks for the help so far everyone has been awesome..
I am building a freshwater ROV for hobby use at my cottage. It will be based on the SEAFOX design.
Would like to have Camera, Lights, Grabber etc, but have questions on the following...

Thrusters - bilge pumps or electric motors? what is the general consensus now...?
Camera - would prefer color but B&W is fine??
Lights - LED's, halogen, how many? what is typical to provide light but not overexpose?
Grabber - make from scratch or particular repurposed toy?
Controller ?

So far I was thinking of the typical 6 modded bilge pumps, in a SEAFOX like frame. Wanted a color camera inside security camera dome with servo's to adjust angles. I would like to put a water sensor circuit inside camera housing to detect water and trigger a flashing red LED behind the camera. I am sure the LED would reflect of the inside of the dome enough to see it while watching the video..
Four lights (2 sets of 2) that I can turn each set on or off separately, for lighter darker conditions.

Would really like to use a Playstation controller to control propulsion and camera and/or grabber arm
http://store.servomagazine.com/product. ... 433&page=1

Am I an the right track...any suggestions?

Thanks
Darren
darrenervine

Re: Questions for first ROV build

Post by darrenervine »

Has anyone done 2 cameras?
One pointing frontwards and one backwards?
Then having a toggle between them?

I guess you could set them up on the same circuit and toggle via a relay....

Just not seen anyone with that yet...

Thanks
Darren
DavidF

Re: Questions for first ROV build

Post by DavidF »

On the dual cameras, I have seen a controll box that will switch from one camera to another and is controlled with a pwm output like a r/c reciever. Might have seen it at hobby king, or obne of the other FPV flight sites...