GPS Coordinates on Monitor or TV Screen

Any miscellaneous pieces and parts that don't fit in the above forums.
brianatsea

GPS Coordinates on Monitor or TV Screen

Post by brianatsea »

Dear Forum,

Does anyone know how to display GPS coordinates on a monitor or TV screen? Do you need a computer interface, such as a laptop to do this?

Thanks,

brianatsea
derelicte

Re: GPS Coordinates on Monitor or TV Screen

Post by derelicte »

you don't need a laptop, but you do need a microcontroller and a video overlay chip. the fpv guys do this all the time.

it has been discussed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=400&hilit=overlay

another article in ieee spectrum about on screen display written by the author who built the rov:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/hand ... en-display

my question to you is how do you expect the gps rx to get a signal underwater? I don't think it would work more than a couple of feet below the surface. you could extend the antenna up the tether, but that would only give you the antenna's coordinates, not the rovs.

just curious.
weine

Post by weine »

derelicte wrote:you don't need a laptop, but you do need a microcontroller and a video overlay chip. the fpv guys do this all the time.

another article in ieee spectrum about on screen display written by the author who built the rov:

my question to you is how do you expect the gps rx to get a signal underwater? I don't think it would work more than a couple of feet below the surface. you could extend the antenna up the tether, but that would only give you the antenna's coordinates, not the rovs.

just curious.
I think (just an idea) you must positionig your ROV from floating gps on the surface.
weine

Post by weine »

derelicte wrote:you don't need a laptop, but you do need a microcontroller and a video overlay chip. the fpv guys do this all the time.

just curious.
I think (just an idea) you must positionig your ROV from floating gps on the surface.
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Just a thought, but wouldn't Side Scan Sonar track the location of an ROV?

I have actually been thinking about this. I need to know where my ROV is in relation to my boat when I am out in the middle of Lake Erie. So I was thinking about SSS.

But under the heading of Keeping It Simple.

I will have a onboard compass in my camera view. That will let me know the direction I am headed. Plus I was thinking about a buoy on a retractable tether (Fishing Buoy with a retractable line attached to the ROV) to let me know where my ROV is in relation to the boat.

ErieWreckDiver
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

The problem with side scan sonar is that it only gives a picture of what is directly under it - so it might work if you could drive the boat back and forth over the dive site, but unless it's moving, it's only scanning the same line on the bottom over and over again. Possibly you could work out some arrangement where you could "sweep" the sonar back and forth over the wreck site by rotating it, but it would depend on the depth and range of the sonar.
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Well, it sounds like it's back to the buoy and compass.
Sometimes keeping it simple is the best way.
m_g

Post by m_g »

I have used the seaviewer.com GPS tracker. It overlays GPS coordinates over the top of your video feed. I haven't used it on an rov though, and as mentioned getting a GPS location for an underwater vehicle is difficult
rvanscotter

Post by rvanscotter »

What you want is an On Screen Display, I use an EagleTree OSD Pro, It will overlay a data onto the video image. The software allows you to select what information and where on the screen you want it. Unfortunately GPS will not penetrate underwater, not even an inch underwater. So coords, alt, heading and speed are useless. But you can get an artificial horizon line, time, battery, temps, current, amps, etc. There are tilt compensated compasses that exist, that would be a great addition.

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/OSD/OSD-Pro.htm