Camera Video over CAT5

Our Eye's under the water.
rvanscotter

Camera Video over CAT5

Post by rvanscotter »

Has anyone tried running a standard composite video (the yellow wire) over a pair of wires in a CAT5 cable as a tether?

I'm using a DX201 board camera. The video is standard composite video out, I'd like to run it in a CAT5 tether but I have no idea how well it will work. I'm starting with a 100' tether.

What do you think?
Rover

Re: Camera Video over CAT5

Post by Rover »

Check out this post for more info...... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=406

Video Baluns are the easiest way to transmit your video siganl from the ROV to the surface. The security camera industry has been using this technology for years.

Many of the baluns on the market have BNC connectors on them, so you may need an RCA to BNC adapter. Look at Radio Shack or on E-bay.

The video baluns are connected to each other with one pair of twisted cat 5 wire.

On the surface you can connect the composite video signal to you computer by using a video to USB adapter. You can buy the video to usb adapter on amazon.com, tiger direct.com, or eBay for approx $20.

Lastley you will need video capture software. An easy to use software program you can try is AMCAP.EXE

Goggle ADCAP.exe for the free version. The companies website is: http://amcap.en.softonic.com/

Jim
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

These are the ones I bought for RCA Video and Audio. No adapters required.

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/NVA-700-WH-YL
Attachments
RCAback.jpg
RCAback.jpg (52.51 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
RCAfront.jpg
RCAfront.jpg (57.28 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
rvanscotter

Post by rvanscotter »

That's perfect, I ordered a set!
bikerbones1968

Post by bikerbones1968 »

Mine just arrived. Havent tested them yet. According to the information I dug up on them they work to 330 Feet and for myself should be more than enough.