Are relays for joystick control necessary?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Vwrov

Are relays for joystick control necessary?

Post by Vwrov »

I dont no much about the snapswitch style joysticks, but reading into how to wire them i noticed that the joystick controls were for forward and reverse, i have a seafox style rov that ive been working on with the 6 bildge pumps, now can i wire the 4 lateral movement engines directly to the joystick or must they have a relay ( wasnt sure if they could handle the amperage). I have a relay box set and wired up and after looking it i started to question why i was making it lol, and advice or tips woul greatly be appreciated thanks alot

Nick
derelicte

Re: Are relays for joystick control necessary?

Post by derelicte »

the joystick should have a current spec for the switches. as long as it is a good for a couple of amps, it should be ok.
Vwrov

Post by Vwrov »

I intended to by one off ebay just like the seafox, i tryed finding that info out but had a hard time finding any product number or any real info on them to research
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

The main reason for the relays is to reduce voltage drop in the tether. If your tether isn't very long though, it shouldn't matter too much. Also, try looking for information on the switches themselves - they're probably there own part and thus should have there own spec sheet.