Power or Cat 5

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
pacman411

Power or Cat 5

Post by pacman411 »

Hi all

Just and idea I had bouncing around my head for some time

Since Cat 5 cable has 4 twisted pair is the a way of sending 12vdc 3 amp over one of the pair to power the system on the ROV, One pair for the vid and the other two pair for data and control of the ROV

Paul
derelicte

Re: Power or Cat 5

Post by derelicte »

electrically that should work. however, are you running your thrusters off of the 12v, 3a pair? if so, you will probably find the voltage drop to be pretty high.

also, 3a isn't enough to run one thruster.

but if the 12v is just for cameras, controller, sensors, etc. then it should be fine, especially if they can tolerate running on slightly less than 12v.
sthone

Post by sthone »

Yeah, trying to send power over a cat5 for thrusters isn't very practical. I've done some tests which the results can be seen on this page http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtotethe ... edrop.html remember the longer the tether the greater the voltage drop will be too.

-Steve 8-)
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Well maybe I am crazy. But this is what I am doing.

I've been working with an Electrical Engineer friend of mine. He has convinced me that for what I am trying to do, I need to do the following.

1) Cat5E is going to be my control tether, to my onboard relays.
2) 12/2 is going to power my relays. This gives me the horsepower I need for my thrusters and lighting.
3) Plus my video cable.

Yes this makes for a thicker tether, that will create buoyancy issues that I will have to address. But because I won't have power loss, my thrusters and lighting won't be compromised. I will be able to run everything all at once, which may be necessary while dealing with currents.

Plus, my tether is becoming one of the most expensive parts of my system. But as my friend says. What good is it, if I can't get to where I want to go and see what I want to see?