Using an "ordinary" Baby monitor as an underwater camera ?

Spot for your general beginner questions.
traveler

Using an "ordinary" Baby monitor as an underwater camera ?

Post by traveler »

Hi out there.
My plan is to build my first simple project to get "something" down to 33feet of water, but I want to watch what is down there, and wonder if it is possible ( and practhical) to use an ordinary Baby monitor as a camera ?
Best regards
traveler
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Re: Using an "ordinary" Baby monitor as an underwater camera

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Well it has got to be put into a waterproof enclosure. But why not I guess is my question. Unless it is A/C....then I don't know. 12 vdc seems to be the safest route. Plus are Baby Cameras cheap?

I am going to look into this route. Because I am about to buy a fishing video camera because they are made for the job and inexpensive. But I am now wondering if Baby Cameras are better in low light.

So....GOOD QUESTION. Let us know how it turns out.

ErieWreckDiver
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

A lot would depend on the specific camera system. If it's wireless, you'd have to see if you could extend the antenna to the surface and still get it to work. If it's wired, you'd have to see if you could somehow extend the cable. As for the A/C power, a lot of electronics of this nature just use those "wall-wart" power supplies, which convert down to 9 or 12 volts DC anyway - pretty simple to wire up to a battery. Do you already have a baby monitor, or were you planning to buy one?

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
traveler

Post by traveler »

Thank you for cind answers folks :D
First I have to apology my late answer, this have to do with daily work.
I have not bought a baby monitor yet. First I wanted to get adwice from experienced people like you.
I thought the baby monitor was a good place to start because it id relatively inexpensive.
It is also a complete unit ( Camera and receiver with screen ) This is important to me, because I dont want to use my laptop in the project. I have not found any baby monitors that is not wireless, but some of them has the possibility to use a cable also.
If it is only wireless, Do you think it is possible to extend the antenna ( floating antenna) if I do some "surgery" on the existing antenna? ( I need to go down to maximum 33 feet )
Here is a link to some baby monitors. It would be interesting if you tell me what you think about it.
Best regards
traveler
http://www.babymonitorsdirect.co.uk/
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

You could definitely extend the antennae - whether it would work or not can only be determined through testing. Many people seem to have had success with extending antennas of various things through their tethers, though I haven't seen it done with a wireless video camera before.

Have you considered going with one of those camera/monitor combos that they sell for ice fishing, such as the one below? You wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing the camera, with a unit such as this one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... t104664780
ERIEWRECKDIVER

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

I took a look at the baby monitors on the link you supplied.
They look expensive in comparison to the fishing cameras that you can find on Amazon. Some of these come with their own Monitors and cable. Plus they are already water proof and self contained with their own batteries.
Take a look. Cabelas is a good source also.
traveler

Post by traveler »

Thank you so much thegadgeguy. Your link was wery interesting. It looks like it is exactly what I am looking for, and much bether choyse than a baby monitor :D
Now I only need two small thruster motors to "manipulate" the camera. I know that some people use 12V bilge pumps as thrusters, but they looks a little to big. Is there a way to to convert "ordinary" small DC motors into thrusters that can work on a dept about 40 feet?
If so, is there some instructions on the net?

Best regards
traveler