LED's VS Incandescent Lighting

Illuminating the Abyss.
ERIEWRECKDIVER

LED's VS Incandescent Lighting

Post by ERIEWRECKDIVER »

Hello Everyone,

I just got off the phone with a very good friend of mine who is a bigger Geek than me. He is a genius Electrical Engineer who works on stuff that we can't talk about. He is the only friend of mine that understands when I am talking about lightwave lengths. Without going way to far into this. We are wondering if LED's might work better if they are filtered by diacromatic filters like they use in the old (Pre Digital) photography.
The idea being that you subtract certain wavelengths of light to bring out what you want to see.

More later. For a Geek like me this is really interesting stuff. Plus it is a fun to see if we can get better video.

ErieWreckDiver

PS. I am meeting with my dive partner this week. We will be going over our underwater targets for this summer. WE WILL HAVE AN ROV READY. We have made up our minds and are to pumped to stop now.
Never prototype

Re: LED's VS Incandescent Lighting

Post by Never prototype »

Led's are capable of producing many different wavelengths of light depending on their construction. You could try putting several different types of led in one reflector or pot and then use rheostats to change the brightness of each led. That would give you some spectrum to play with. The under water environment might change your results for testing though. I would think that the more light the better and if it washes out in the center of your image just diffuse the light with a piece of translucent plastic.

I hope these suggestions help, good luck and be sure to post your results!