pressure ballast system

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
anengland87

pressure ballast system

Post by anengland87 »

Ok. I am designing my first rov. My goals are to take it into gulf of mexico and reach depths or 100'. I am thinking on a pressure ballast system to help control neutral buoyancy to all depths. And to Be able to make it positive on surface and maybe even negative on bottom(though dont know why I would want to risk silting up everything.) I have decided most likely on a pressure ballast system but am wondering on what the best pumps and valves would be without emptying my bank accounts on this. Any ideas on the ballast system? or any other suggestion on my overall project. Though I am a diver i would rather this not end in search and recovery so I would appreciate any advice
manhattan

Re: pressure ballast system

Post by manhattan »

Hi and welcome,

Check this link below, it describes general options. I as a diver myself have been thinking on a gas ballast system using a regulator and a pony bottle. I saw sometime ago a ROV disign that utilized this kind of ballast setup and I liked it. If I understood it correct, the regulator will pump in air from a pony-bottle when pressure/squezze (during dives) is present in the vessel and when ascending the excess of air blows out of the regulator just like breathing air during dives. Probably need to adjust a few bits with issues such as free-flow etc. but don’t think its major ones.

Best,

http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/index.php5
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Thanks for the website, it is really informative! :)
Never prototype

Post by Never prototype »

Your Rov sounds like what I'm trying to do with my sub. I'm using ballast bags (iv bags) and filling them with a iv pump if you've seen one in a hospital. It uses a motor to move three rollers over a piece of tubing squeezing the fluid through the tubing, its also reversible. I ordered it from mikes sub-works. There is a lot of great stuff on his site but you need to call mike to inquire about this particular pump because its not on the website. Its cheap and you can get the pump housing and use your own motor if you like.