LOOKING FOR COMMS ADVICE

Spot for your general beginner questions.
spruce goose

LOOKING FOR COMMS ADVICE

Post by spruce goose »

:D First question guys, so, here we go!! I'm at early stages of building an ROV, well design stage actually.Mechanical design is almost there, but, control is the problem.I'm looking to launch from my boat, at sea to a depth possibly 40-50 ft.Can I use radio control (40mhz) with a tether as an antenna (onboard battery but, tether also carries supply voltage to lights) or do I use wired method (joystick/onboard relay set-up).Both seem to bring problems, rc and seawater don't like each other and the volts drop thru cable distance for the wired method.Thanks in advance for any help.Cheers Brian.
Alaska Rov Systems

Re: LOOKING FOR COMMS ADVICE

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Hello,
Well I am trying to figure out kinda the same think using rc receivers and transmitters.My idea is to have on board batterys and make the whole rov radio controlled and completely wireless ( no tether). I would have the rc antenna on the rov be long enough to be on attached to a floating buoy on the surface. I belive this would provide a direct radio control circuit to the rc receiver.

I hope this helps!

Alex

Alaska Rov systems
Vertcnc

Post by Vertcnc »

Rf will not travel well enough through water to control the ROV. I have heard of people using a tether From the antenna connection to the RX on the ROV.
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will still have to use some sort of tether for the control signals for my ROV.

Alex Stuart
Alaska Rov Systems