ROSEV - The Final Design

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
AHarris

ROSEV - The Final Design

Post by AHarris »

Ok, I have posted a few ideas however I have now found one which I like and I can finish without hitting brick walls such as delivery of products (as I live on a small island in the English Channel this is a big issue as we don't have big hardware stores as America does).
I have done a bit on the actual construction with the main bit that I've done so far being the control panel that I have designed to "plug and play".

I am building a ROSEV (Remotely Operated Shallow Exploration Vehicle) that I shall test using a ten metre tether then if all goes to plan I shall extend the tether to get it to a decent distance from the coastline.
The control panel is all I have so far so I shall give a quick explanation as I feel it is something different to what people are currently using and I would like opinions. The rest is pretty much like what others have.

The "Universal" control panel has been designed to allow for a "plug and play" style input. You have the basic set of control however unlike other control panels where they are directly linked to the motors and lights e.t.c. you shall have banana plugs or similar and you screw the lines into the panel.
The monitor is pre-mounted with an RCA connection so all you do is plug it in and turn it on, all power is provided by the same method, plug the battery in and turn the power on. The power goes through the panel and through the connections to the ROV. Once you have finished you turn it off, disconnect the power lines and then disconnect the tether from each of the ports. This allows you to take the control panel and use it with any of the standard (for me) connections that I have on any ROV I am planning on building.

What do you guys think of the panel idea?
SoakedinVancouver

Re: ROSEV - The Final Design

Post by SoakedinVancouver »

Better than mine, I hard-wired my umbilical (tether) to my control console, and now I regret it... I'll modify that on V2.0 (in your name!)
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Thanks! I came up with the idea mainly due to my inability to solder, the less soldering to be done (as banana plugs are crimped) the easier it is for me.

I should be able to post some pictures once my dremel arrives as I can then cut the wooden backing and insert each of the ports.
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Just a quick update, in case anyone is still checking this post.
I have almost completed it, just awaiting a box for the control panel, a battery and a webcam.
Once I have those I shall be posting some images and video!
Deakel

Post by Deakel »

I was looking at something like this for mine http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/34014 ... ofing.html
It would require soldering though and i'm not a very good solderer either. I drilled hols in my control box and used a CGB you can get at any electrical supply house. You feed the wires through and twist the cap there is a rubber bushing inside that compresses to your wires. I haven't had any leaks but i also put sikaflex in and around it.
But like you have said the tether is pretty much permanently attached and i don't like it either. With said waterproof plug it would only be one hole and easy connect and disconnect.
Danny

Post by Danny »

good ideas. as someone mentioned, a hardwired tether is something that I really am not too crazy over, and so I am playing around with a airline connector coupling to wire through for an easy release/solid attatchment.