Simple Joystick Control

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
one mere mortal

Simple Joystick Control

Post by one mere mortal »

;) Looked and looked and looked... here is the question that i haven't found under this topic. Has anyone used Steve's setup for joystick/ relay control on their ROVs. I want to see some pictures of real life setups. (I want as simple a setup as possible for fear is strong with this one :o ). Also I feel that the more mechanical and less electronic the better for the rough and tumble (and wet) world of ROVs. Plus I operate best when someone shows me like "ROVs For Idiots". (Steve's wiring diagrams on relay setup has sped up the learning curve for me). I just need those pictures to bring my ROV to life. Thanks :D
Pilikia

Re: Simple Joystick Control

Post by Pilikia »

You asked, "Has anyone used Steve's setup for joystick/ relay control on their ROVs?" For some reason, I can no longer find Steve's discussion on wiring a joystick. I have a clear memory of having seen it, but I just can't find it, either in the forum or in his original site. Can you please give me a link to it?

Thanks,
--Pilikia
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

Is this the page you were thinking of?

http://www.homebuiltrovs.com/howtojoystickhbridge.html
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

thegadgetguy, yes indeed! I thank you kindly.

--Pilikia
sthone

Post by sthone »

Are you looking for actual pictures of the wired relays? I have one setup wired up that I have yet to seal up so just let me know what your looking for and I might be able to take a few.

-Steve 8-)
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

Hey Steve ~

I'll take you up on that offer. That'd be great. Thanks

--Pilikia
Alaska Rov Systems

Post by Alaska Rov Systems »

Thanks for posting the instructions for the joystick, it looks pretty neat to try to fabricate and build.

Alex

Alaska Rov Systems
sthone

Post by sthone »

Sorry for the delay, but here are some real life pictures of my relay setup, these are before the sealing process.
LCUBE192.jpg
LCUBE192.jpg (276.98 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
This setup shown is using 2 Duel Post Duel Throw Relays for each function. I used 8 in this setup 6 are for Forward/Reverse Left/Right Up/Down with the last to for options. (I.E. = open close manipulators) Everything is pretty compact in this setup because it is going in a small Rov with a 10" footprint, but should get the point across on what it should look like.
LCUBE-230.jpg
LCUBE-230.jpg (394.38 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
This is a view of the bottom of my control box, It uses a simple Arcade type joystick, 4 arcade buttons, a cat5 jack and banana plugs for the tether connection, and there is also a fuse holder too.

-Steve 8-)