Purdue 2011 ROV Hybris

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
ckleppin

Purdue 2011 ROV Hybris

Post by ckleppin »

The following website documents all of the work that the Purdue University ROV Team did to get our ROV, ROV Hybris, ready for the 2011 MATE Competition in Houston, Texas. Our team had a pretty amazing time at the NASA Neutral Bouyancy Lab, where we placed 2nd in the MATE Competition. We even got to drive the NASA Space Exploration Vehicle (SEV); there are a few video links posted on the website, along with our actual mission runs.

I would certainly be interested in answering any questions about our designs and hearing what you guys think. Thanks.
https://sites.google.com/site/purduerovhybris/
AHarris

Re: Purdue 2011 ROV Hybris

Post by AHarris »

I remember watching you on the Live Feed, I was very impressed by the amount of control you have over her!
ckleppin

Post by ckleppin »

To be honest, we were a bit surprised ourselves. The oil cap was not part of the original design, and it added a considerable amount of weight to the ROV. It made it much harder to control with it still connected to the ROV. Without the oil cap, the vectored thruster placement does provide a great deal of control in the horizontal plane.
ckleppin

Post by ckleppin »

I forgot to ask, which team were you on AHarris?
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

I wasn't, however I watched the video feed on the NASA website... one day I hope I can build something good enough to compete (as it would be an amazing experience) but until then I shall stick with 'Sea Horse' which is my micro class ROV (measuring only 8"X6"X3").
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

ckleppin,

That's a very impressive piece of work. There are a couple things I'm curious about:

1. What is the function of the "oil cap" shown on your site and discussed above?

2. The tether description mentions two "air hoses" included in the tether, one for supply and one for exhaust. Why are these needed? What are they doing? Do you have any pics or graphics that show the construction of the tether?

Thanks,
Pilikia
ckleppin

Post by ckleppin »

Pilikia,

Thanks for checking out our ROV. It was quite an experience working on it.

The function of the oil cap was to stop a simulated flow of "oil", coming from a PVC pipe assembly. The oil cap was attached to our ROV with a pneumatic piston that locked it in place. When we maneuvered the ROV above the oil well, we would release the pneumatic piston holding the oil cap to the ROV. As we seperate away from the oil cap, another pneumatic piston would be actuated and it would drive a stopper into the oil well opening.

The air hoses in the tether are the air supply and exhaust lines for the pneumatic system. We had an air compressor on the surface and needed to get the air down to the pistons on the ROV. Unfortunately, I don't think that I have any pictures of the tether, but I can say that there are two 10 gauge conductors for power, 2 air lines for the pneumatic system, 1 Ethernet cable for video and communication, and small sections of foam for buoyancy.

The purpose of the supply and exhaust air lines is to minimize the losses due to the water pressure at 40 feet. We were allowed 40 psi max, and without the exhaust line, there would be about a 17 psi drop in the air pressure at the vehicle.

Hope this answers your questions,

Clayton
Pilikia

Post by Pilikia »

Clayton,

Thank you for the clear answers.

My next questions are: 1) What was the size and material of the air lines in the tether? and, 2) How much did these air lines contribute to the buoyancy of the tether?

Pilikia
ckleppin

Post by ckleppin »

Pilikia,

I believe that it was 3/8" inner diameter rubber hose. I don't think that the pneumatic lines really contributed much to the overall buoyancy of the tether, definitely not enough to counteract the weight of the 10 AWG conductors.

Clayton