Using magnetic drive pumps

Anything to do with Propulsion.
geoffkx250

Using magnetic drive pumps

Post by geoffkx250 »

Hey everyone -

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with the idea of using magnetic drive pumps to use as thrusters. My current job is to maintain aquariums for a Maritime Center, so I frequently work with pumps designed for aquarium use that are submersible magnetic drive pumps that use a magnetic impeller that drops into a water tight housing. I know most of these pumps run off of AC but I was wondering if anyone has thought of using a 12 volt DC pump that is built the same way. Magnetic drive pumps essentially use a magnetic coupling right?

While im on the subject of thrusters does anyone know the shaft diameter of the mayfair 500gph replacement cartridge?
biglakeexile

Re: Using magnetic drive pumps

Post by biglakeexile »

I think this is an idea many of us have toyed with, and I think it would work great. We know the mechanical theory works, but as far as I know, no one has made or found parts to make it work. The trick is finding and/or machining the pieces to make it work. The tolerances of the spinning parts in relation to the distance of the magnet to coupler, bearing guides, etc. The AC/DC portion of your question should be irrelevant, as long the end result is rotational power, it won't matter which form of electricity is being used. If anyone has found any parts to short cut let us know!
krigsmaskin

Re: Using magnetic drive pumps

Post by krigsmaskin »

i know that heavy-duty mixers and boylers used in foodproduction use this type of technoigy, due to the easy cleaning of the equipment. I think this is the best way of making a smal deepwater thruster if you have the equipment to fabricate plastic og aluminum.
it maks pressurising the thruster housing easy. and no need to use lipseals around axels.