Housing doors

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
gumma

Housing doors

Post by gumma »

Any Posters with good idea how to make good sealing for ROV doors? I'm working on fiberglass housing (btw haven't seen anyone here doing the same) so i need a good idea how to implement it in the housing. Door frame would be fixed to housing, of course. Operating depth is 300ft max. Thank you! :D :D :D
DianneB

Re: Housing doors

Post by DianneB »

Wow, that's pretty deep for fiberglass, almost 150 PSI pressure!

How you do your doors will depend on the size of the door, which will depend on the size of your ROV and what needs to get through the door.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Personally my gut feeling is that the fiberglass being as brittle as it is... is that at that depth you might encounter a catastrophic failure. I might be wrong and hope that I am for your sake. But that is just my opinion. As far as for "the Doors" I would suggest that you try two flat sections with some sort of sealant and bolts.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

I might try to incorporate a PVC fitting, such as one of those screw in endcaps into the actual design of you fiberglass structure. Fiberglass is really strong, but if you don't construct it correctly, you could have a failure like PaulC said. I assume you have experience with fiberglass?
gumma

Post by gumma »

Glad someone respond. My fiberglass body will be applied to aluminum construction (already assembled :)). I'll use epoxy resin with one layer of rowing. I'll apply 4-5 layers of fiberglass. I think it will hold for that pressure (100 psi). The Doors (:)) will be 10*10 cm approximately, so Duemillanove and 12V 7Ah battery can fit trough. I considered PVC endcap with screw inside, but I think it won't stand for more then 50 psi (am i wrong?). Flat section is better suggestion, metal or PVC? How much pressure can it take?
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

My apologies for my post I was sleep deprived at the time, and didn't really know what I was actually writing. :D.
As far as housing doors try maybe o-rings and a cap of sorts.