project enclosures?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
biglakeexile

project enclosures?

Post by biglakeexile »

I've been looking for new enclosure ideas for my ROV and haven't had much luck. Has anybody found a dealer for suitable submergible boxes? You know, to put all the electronics in? I've been using some IP67 rated boxes from Color Kinetics (Only because I work for them and they're available). These are working fine but are a little small and the conduit holes aren't where I'd like them to be. I'll post some pics...
It seems like there's nothing in between Hoffman type "damp listed" boxes and $$$ custom subsea boxes.
AHarris

Re: project enclosures?

Post by AHarris »

What many people have done is just using the basic Project Enclosure box such as those found in hobby shops and filling it with candle wax once it is done. It keeps the water out and is cheap, this is what Steve has done:

http://homebuiltrovs.com/seafoxretrofitcontrol.html

Scroll down to the bottom to see the end product.
biglakeexile

Post by biglakeexile »

Ya, I've been debating which devices I can live with permanently cover up. But, as it's an ever evolving design I know I'll want to get back into certain parts. I had thought about low temp hot glue, and then in the event of repair or change I could use an oven to melt the glue and retrieve things? I really want to keep things accessible though. hmmm...
AHarris

Post by AHarris »

Possible damage if your melting it in the oven, but saying that molten wax is very hot.
You could always use a PVC tube with one fixed end cap and s screw on end cap on the other end then seal the wire holes with epoxy. Not sure how easily epoxy is to scrape away once set though?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Loctite 1151984 .85 oz Plastix epoxy works great. It has some chemical in it that melt/bonds to the plastic. Have you thought of drilling small holes and potting in female bullet connectors (used to connect ESC to a brusless motor) through your pressure bulkhead? That way you don't have a wire going through, and you can unplug the wires if you need to. I have pressure tested this to 60psi, but will be doing a second pressure test to 125 psi soon.

As far as an enclosure, we use PVC, as you can easily make a removable pressure bulkhead. Enco sells a varity of PVC sheet and rod stock (www.use-enco.com)

I use a silicone rubber gasket between the bulkhead and the hull.

Good luck with your build.

Jim
fluffy111

Post by fluffy111 »

What about silicone mass?

Regards,
Fluffy
jason howard

Post by jason howard »

you could also use a pelican box
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CFIQ8gIwAw#
with a hole drilled in it for the wires that is pluged with silicone. then you can fill the case with mineral oil. the oil will not short the electronics, and will (if filled properly) make the box completely resistent to pressure problems because the oil wont compress, as opposed to air which will compress. if you need to modify your box just put it over a large tub or vat and open the box. pelican boxes are good because there built to be waterproof and resist deformation, with the added bonus of latches and a lock loop so you dont accidently open your enclosure. you can get them in all sizes even as small as an i pod case and can buy them online or from most tackle shopes or places like westmarine.