thoughts on rov-asia?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
shaneb24

thoughts on rov-asia?

Post by shaneb24 »

any one look in to rov-asia

http://rov-asia.com/document/RovMualFull.pdf

im not talking about there rov but there control assembly .

what are your thoughts
Last edited by shaneb24 on Jun 12th, 2011, 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AHarris

Re: thoughts on rov-asia?

Post by AHarris »

They look good, however they are going to be expensive, as with all other ROVs that are on the consumer market such as the VideoRay.
I also looked at their website, not much on it and it looks rather amateur (spelling mistakes and poor sentences) so I'm not too sure what I would expect from them.
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

That was my issue as well. I was thinking it could pan out to be a cheap fast control system. It has a very plug and play feel to it.
soulreaper

Post by soulreaper »

I agree with AHARIS, I bet the rov will cost thousands of dollars, which I cant afford. I use my rov for fun not for employment.
shaneb24

Post by shaneb24 »

no you can pick up the control unit for $100 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROV-Control-board ... 3954wt_823. im not talking about there rov but there control assembly .
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

Hi Guys,

I purchased the ROV-Asia control and have been “hard” testing it for a month now. If you need any feedback let me know. (Have some video clips as well)

Overall I am satisfied. I didn’t want to go Arduino way since I know nothing about programming. You can do so much more with Arduino then ROV-Asia but all I needed was 4 X Thrusters 2X Lights and 2X Servos and Asia provides that (and a bit more). Also if I can make it work, anybody can.

I have intentionally burned the 10A fuses just to make sure they work and are protecting the ESCs. Only issue (so far) was that one motor output is “lateral” which I will not be using. I need two vertical so I was planning to check if simply connecting 2 signal cables to vertical input will do the trick.

Best
captbill

Post by captbill »

hello, I have the ROV-Asia boards as well. My progress is going slow and easy still trying to work out the joystick issue. I'd appricate info and like to see your video clips.

regards
Bill

manhattan wrote:Hi Guys,

I purchased the ROV-Asia control and have been “hard” testing it for a month now. If you need any feedback let me know. (Have some video clips as well)

Overall I am satisfied. I didn’t want to go Arduino way since I know nothing about programming. You can do so much more with Arduino then ROV-Asia but all I needed was 4 X Thrusters 2X Lights and 2X Servos and Asia provides that (and a bit more). Also if I can make it work, anybody can.

I have intentionally burned the 10A fuses just to make sure they work and are protecting the ESCs. Only issue (so far) was that one motor output is “lateral” which I will not be using. I need two vertical so I was planning to check if simply connecting 2 signal cables to vertical input will do the trick.

Best
manhattan

Post by manhattan »

Hi Bill,

I went a really easy way with the joystick. Bought (Chinese) Play station 2 controller and cannibalized it, removing the two thumb-sticks. They are 10K pots which are needed for Asia. Just solder the 2 X 3 wires from each axis, connect to Asia and off you go…lol..

It’s certainly not the best solution and it’s not near sensitive as a industrial 10k joystick would be but hey, it works. The clip shows a bit, check it out and if anything else shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dpxj9bgQqU
soulreaper

Post by soulreaper »

That's cool Manhattan. Nice work!!! I wish I was computer savy like most people, but I dont know a thing about computer programming.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hi Guys. I also purchased the ROV-Asia controller and really like it. It's compact and nicely laid out. The FWD/AFT and LEFT/RIGHT thruster algrorithim works nicely. I un-stacked the light controller board, so it will fit in a 3" tube.

I like the varible speed control you have with the system, and the trim levers allow you to trim everything out on the fly.

The control also has 3 LED's to indicate topside power, ROV power, and water alarm LED

The control board controls the brushless out-runner motors smoothly. The reason, I went with out-runners, is they come in lower KV rating (throusands of RPM per volt) I am running 890KV's turning a 50mm prop. And the two vert thrusters are 40mm. Great thrust will lower current draw.

The left and right verticle thruster ESC's are both connected to the vert thrust control signal off of the control board. Works great.

A micro sized servo, also driven by the control board will control the camera tilt. The video feed is through a balun and one twisted pair.

The contol system is built into an RC airplane control simulator.... you can buy them on e-Bay and Amazon. I took out the USB control board, and fit the ROV control board in the battery comprtment area.

As you can see, you end up with a really clean looking controller.

The rest of the ROV is coming along, motors have been tested, pressure bulkead has been pressure tested, tether is built. Hull and lights are ready for assembly.

Jim
Attachments
Slide8.JPG
Slide8.JPG (101.43 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Slide5.JPG
Slide5.JPG (92.36 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Slide3.JPG
Slide3.JPG (81.69 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
ROVer.jpg
ROVer.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 3227 times