Thruster Mounts

Anything to do with Propulsion.
Pilikia

Thruster Mounts

Post by Pilikia »

Carlos has posted on the possibility of using bilge blowers instead of bilge pumps for thrusters. One benefit he mentioned is they have handy mounts built-in. Attached (I hope) is a photo of one of these promising blowers.

On a different tack, I have been working on a solution for mounting the Rule bilge pumps. Attached is a photo of this setup, along with a partial screen shot of how I'm using them in my ROV. This mount requires parts of 2 different U-bolts: One is a long-legged U-bolt from Home Depot, intended for attaching something round to something flat. The other is the saddle only portion of an automotive exhaust clamp U-bolt. Together, they grip the motor nicely and provide ample bolt length for attaching to the ROV.
Attachments
ThrusterMount02.jpg
ThrusterMount02.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
ThrusterMount.jpg
ThrusterMount.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
BilgeBlower.jpg
BilgeBlower.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
chance

Re: Thruster Mounts

Post by chance »

Thats clever! I couldn't remember where I had seen rounded bases for u-bolts before *wanders off to auto store*

Thanks!

-Chance
sKooTr

Re: Thruster Mounts

Post by sKooTr »

Finding longer U bolts here in the UK has defeated me for the time being, but I have found what I believe is a suitable alternative:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... arch=false

The diameter of the motor, once the outer housing has been cut away, for a Rule 500 bilge pump, is exactly 40mm, and it fits the pipe clip very snuggly, though I may add a bead of glue to ensure the motor doesn't vibrate loose.

Scott