High quality IP camera with low latency and onboard encoding?

Our Eye's under the water.
laukejas

High quality IP camera with low latency and onboard encoding?

Post by laukejas »

Hi, for my next ROV I want to use an IP camera instead of CSI or USB. I want IP camera because I will be using a microcontroller (most likely ESP32) instead of Raspberry Pi (I hate them for many good reasons), so the camera stream cannot be routed through it, and has to be separate. Microcontroller and camera will be connected with a micro Ethernet switch, and then routed through a PLC module to stream video to the topside laptop, as well as receive commands via a 2-wire tether.

I am in the process of choosing that IP camera. Since this is an observational ROV, image quality and performance in low light conditions is paramount. The requirements are:
1) Video quality - as good as possible, preferably close to GoPro.
2) Low latency streaming (<100 ms).
3) Onboard H264/265 encoding.
4) Not prone to overheating in enclosed space. I would like to keep the enclosure temperatures under 60°C, since there will be 3D printed parts inside.
5) As compact as possible (my enclosure is an aluminum tube 70x300mm, it has to fit the camera, all the electronics and a battery).
6) Preferably under $300.

Currently, I am exploring cameras such as this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002745333584.html (8k variant), which seems to fit the requirements, but I don't know how good the image quality will be in underwater conditions, and how much heat it generates. Also, it's Aliexpress, so it's a wild guess whether it is a quality product or not.

Can anyone suggest a camera that fits these requirements? I live in Europe, so it doesn't have to be from Ali or Ebay.