Hello from Australia

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Ramjet

Hello from Australia

Post by Ramjet »

Hi all.
New to Underwater, but not to RC and electronics.
Looking forward to piecing together an ROV in the coming month, and getting some killer ideas from this group.
Happy to help any member with CAD and drawings if they need a hand.

Chat soon,
Ramjet.
Oddmar

Re: Hello from Australia

Post by Oddmar »

Howdy from the central USA!

I tend to build bigger, no matter what i'm constructing...trucks, houses, sculpture, or ROV's. IMHO, the heavier the ROV is, the less currents, tides, and the tether jerk it around. My first one was the size of a large chest freezer. It vanished when my storage unit was burgled...ROV, topside computer, everything.

My new design incorporates a drop cage for backlighting and tether management. (2) 9-dof manipulators, 8" aluminum housing, 8 cameras for all-around viewing. Deployed from a cabin-style pontoon boat topside, that expands from 2.7m wide x 8.9m long, to 7m wide on the water. Control room is 7m x 4.5m, then a bathroom and kitchenette, and an overhead gantry to drop the cage/ ROV through the moon pool-style floor. Projection screens in control room for viewing camera feeds. Vaporware at the moment due to lack of funds.

You can search my posts for pics and a more detailed description. And feel free to pick my brains for advice.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Thanks for responding, Oddmar.

I was feeling I'd walked into a ghost town. :)

I will check your posts and grab a few ideas.

This first one is a smaller one that I'd like to use to explore some local dams. Your points are well taken.

Chat soon, mate!

Dave.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Not too many posts on here lately.

Hopefully that means btrue is out diving Lake Coeur d'Alene so we can live vicariously through his videos.

Usually there are several smart fellers on here that will respond to new members.
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Wellcome to the forum from Spain, I will be attentive to your progress, a greeting
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Hi, asesorplaza1. Nice to hear from you!
I'm looking forward to having something to post soon.
Attachments
ROV2.png
ROV2.png (561.34 KiB) Viewed 8244 times
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Parts arriving and I've sent a drawing to a machinist who is going to make up some prop adapters.

I've also designed a buoyancy calculator in Excel to calculate the size of the buoyancy tubes on top of the ROV.
Attachments
prop-adapter-960px.jpg
prop-adapter-960px.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 8225 times
Keaton Hare

Post by Keaton Hare »

Ramjet wrote: Oct 4th, 2021, 6:16 am Parts arriving and I've sent a drawing to a machinist who is going to make up some prop adapters.

I've also designed a buoyancy calculator in Excel to calculate the size of the buoyancy tubes on top of the ROV.
Hi I would absolutely love to see that buoyancy calculator of yours! seems like it would be very helpful