Was thinking of trying to connect wireless router antenna to

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Seadragon

Was thinking of trying to connect wireless router antenna to

Post by Seadragon »

wireless usb adapter antenna with long wire(22 ga.)

was going to see if this worked. it would make designing an umbilical easier.

Kinda like a waveguide.

anybody do this already?

I was thinking usb adapter in the control box-22 gauge wire-wireless router topside-lappy for control.

with one wire in the umbilical for data, (2) 14 ga. for power you could have really small tubing for the umbilical.

Not so good at radio so any advice would be good.
AHarris

Re: Was thinking of trying to connect wireless router antenn

Post by AHarris »

So is it wireless?
Radio waves don't pass through water very well... actually they pass through too well and just disperse before any can be picked up.
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

That is what I am wondering can you connect the antenna's on a wireless router to an wireless usb adapter by soldering a long wire on the antenna lead for the usb wireless to the antenna lead for the wireless router to make a direct path for the wireless signal so it doesn't scatter.

I will try this out have wireless router, have usb wireless have 500' of 16 GA. on a spool.

I will report back.
thegadgetguy

Post by thegadgetguy »

I think this would work if you were using something like a model airplane transmitter and reciever. I'm not sure about wireless internet. I know that you can make custom antennas for wireless routers that can help increase there range, but the antennas have to have bends and certain distances between those bends. I don't know if that would apply in this case, though. I'd had this idea before too, but I never thought of using for wireless internet. I'll be waiting to see the results of your tests!
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

I'll make a video for the steps.
Seadragon

Post by Seadragon »

From another post can we cross-link posts here?
Seadragon wrote:
thegadgetguy wrote:I'm not sure about the whole "antenna through the tether" idea. Seadragon was going to do a test with a wireless router, but I don't think he's posted the results yet. I personally don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'm not an expert, so my opinion shouldn't count for much. For the ESCs with the car battery, as long as everything is 12 volts and they can handle the amperage per motor, than it should work. I think the only problem would be what manhattan mentioned with the voltage drop. If you have a 40 foot tether, it's not a big problem, but if you have in the 100+ foot range, you should look into another option than sending straight 12 volt DC down the tether.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you sucess on your project. ;)
I tried the wireless router on 1000' of thhn 18 ga. wire tied to the antenna leads on a linksys B router on one end and the other end on linksys B usb dongle with wire soldered to the antenna point. I set the antenna gain down to 6db to start. Had my friend with my thinkpad and usb at one end of the property and connected my compaq at the wireless router via ethernet cable.

transferred a short video to the thinkpad and it did it in the normal time. My boss came out and said whatcha doing and I told him he used his network detector and saw the networkfrom 40' lateral to the cable all the way down. This made him very happy as we have old wires throughout the plant so when he had the IT guys come out they used their lappy to connect all the way done the line.

So in conclusion It seems as if it works. The only bad thing was respooling 1000' of wire :). So if you are going to do that with your jobs wire make sure you share any good news with your boss. Oh and the IT guys hate me now :). I will try again when I make a control program. I am thinking of writing one in Java anyone have something like that already?