Penetrator for my ROV max. 100 Meter deep

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
Matt87

Penetrator for my ROV max. 100 Meter deep

Post by Matt87 »

Hey, I'm thinking about to use the Blu Robotic Watertight Enclosure for ROV/AUV (4″ Series)
https://bluerobotics.com/store/watertig ... e4-asm-r1/

So, the first challenge will be to get a water tight connection from the BLDC-Motors inside the Hull.
The Blue Robotics Penetrator are a bit expensive, so I found this Solution on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHGozByLF8

Has anyone experience with this easy solution? The Guy in the Video told to use single Core wire.
I'm not sure is this needless? Because the Motor-Cable from the BLDC-Motors its mostly multi strand wire.

Thank you
fryslan76

Re: Penetrator for my ROV max. 100 Meter deep

Post by fryslan76 »

The single core has a reason it is almost impossible to be sure that your epoxy gets in between all the wires of a multicore wire. While water pressure is a sure way to find any crack between the wires.
You could use just a short piece of single core and solder a regular wire to it outside the penetration point.
Matt87

Post by Matt87 »

fryslan76 wrote:The single core has a reason it is almost impossible to be sure that your epoxy gets in between all the wires of a multicore wire. While water pressure is a sure way to find any crack between the wires.
You could use just a short piece of single core and solder a regular wire to it outside the penetration point.
Thank you for the answer. :-) <><
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Shouldn't he stay with multi-strand wire for DC?
As long as he strips the insulation off for a half-inch or so, and thins the epoxy resin with denatured alcohol, it should flow right in.

I haven't had any problems so far...
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Correct multicore should be multi-strand.
Since he is planning to go to 100M the pressure will be significant. Thinning might do the trick never tried that, i have solid wire in the connectors.