6 motors vectored thrust help (beginner)

Anything to do with programing the Arduino Platform.
soyboy97

6 motors vectored thrust help (beginner)

Post by soyboy97 »

Hi,

My father and I are building an ROV for a local competition held in june. My role is to program the motors since I have basic knowledge in arduinos, but im finding the whole process rather challenging and im not sure where to begin. There will be 4 motors to control the forward and backward thrust & 2 motors to control the up and down motion. 2 joysticks will control the motors, with the left stick controlling the forward and backward thrust and the right stick to control the rotation of the ROV and up and down motion.

The problem im having is that im not really sure where to start as its more advanced than anything ive ever done If anyone could give me any help on where to start or has any examples of similar code I could use to build off of, then that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance :D
Peter
Bennachie

Re: 6 motors vectored thrust help (beginner)

Post by Bennachie »

PM sent. Check your inbox.
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

Is it a requirement to write the code yourself? Do you have to use an Arduino to control the movement of the ROV?

Because you can use the Arduino to control a Pixhawk flight controller ($54) running Ardusub firmware that will control the thrusters. https://www.ardusub.com/introduction/features.html

And then i'd ignore the rest of the (feature limited) Ardusub code and use the Arduino to control lights, servos, etc via an I2C connected SSC-32 servo controller.
Lucas

Post by Lucas »

I dealt with this exact issue myself a couple years ago. Check my project thread for hints on vectored thrust calcs: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=836
medemt

Post by medemt »

Bennachie wrote:PM sent. Check your inbox.

If you would be willing, I would like to see what you have on the control of the six motors.

I am also very new to Coding and am I the process of trying to learn Arduino and Rapberry Pi.

Thanking you in advance.

Dan
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

medemt wrote:
Bennachie wrote:PM sent. Check your inbox.

If you would be willing, I would like to see what you have on the control of the six motors.

I am also very new to Coding and am I the process of trying to learn Arduino and Rapberry Pi.

Thanking you in advance.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Sorry, I'm not working on my ROV at the moment but you'll find all my code on this forum if you search through my posts.

Hope that helps a bit anyway!
asesorplaza1

Post by asesorplaza1 »

Buenos días.

Si buscas en Internet, veras que el control de motores con Arduino no es difícil, solo tienes que utilizar un controlador para los motores del tipo Pololu A2988, te aconsejo utilizar el modulo con doble puente H, y no solo el controlador, y si los motores tienen control electrónico porque sean sin escobillas, con Arduino se controla igual que un servo, y ya hay una biblioteca específica para los ESC, adjunto enlace a Github

https://github.com/maxpowel/ESC

Un saludo.

Good morning.

If you search the Internet, you will see that motor control with Arduino is not difficult, you only have to use a controller for the pololu A2988 type motors, I advise you to use the module with double H bridge, and not only the controller, and if the motors have electronic control because they are brushless, with Arduino is controlled just like a servo, and there is already a specific library for THE ESC, attached link to Github

https://github.com/maxpowel/ESC

Greetings.