First ROV

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Demon340

Re: First ROV

Post by Demon340 »

Well, due to severe time constraints to the us navy, im halting progress. Also due to the fact I haven't the foggiest idea what im doing, I'm putting this rig up for grabs. I'd rather not hack it up and let someone who has the time and know how, to complete it. I don't know where to sell it, im sure the admin of the site doesnt want this to turn into a ebay or craigslist site. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks alot.
sthone

Post by sthone »

That's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing this one come together. I don't have a for sale section (and really don't plan on adding one anytime soon) but I guess it's all right to mention its for sale as long as people understand it has nothing to do with this forum. Plus if someone here bought it we might get to see it finished. :) Although eBay might be a good place for it. (larger audience)

-Steve 8-)
Demon340

Re: First ROV (Back from the dead)

Post by Demon340 »

Well, I found this stuffed in my storage unit forgotten about in my land of misfit toys. I dug it out and after a few weeks of ridiculousness, its ready for some sea trials! I made a simple relay board until I get my Ardunio PS2 and motor controller for full digital control board to swap out with.
IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg (671.57 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg (699.86 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg (599.82 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg (664.76 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg (696.59 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Nice. Looks like it's aged well. What kind of printer did you use for the kort nozzles?
Bennachie

Post by Bennachie »

Nice design! I see you are using a professional wet-mate connector for your umbilical. SubConn Micro Circular 16 contact?
sthone

Post by sthone »

Looking good... I'm glad to see someone getting use out of those kort nozzles I designed.

This post reminds me it's about time I dig my Rov out of the closet and get around to finishing it too.

-Steve :sting:
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

@Ian - I really haven't the foggiest on the printer type as I just outsourced it to one of my friends. They came out pretty sturdy so no complaints from me.

@Bennachie - Yup, you nailed that one. I can't stand having an attached umbilical so that was an elegant solution. I dug through the parts pin at work and found a few of those unused.

@sthone - Great design, I always point them your way when they asked where they came from. The prop adapters are titanium. Only thing that was close so the size I needed that was laying around.

I'm using a 12v 7ah battery from a UPS to power everything for now, I just shove it in the back and charge it from the front when I take the dome off. I send 12v down to the relay board thru the tether which is 100' for motor and lights. I'm trying to get a quick claw made up that is fast and dirty so I can retrieve my sunglasses which are on the bottom in 40' of water. The divers at work said they would grab them but I'll try first. My first "Mission".

Camera is in need of a dire upgrade but long as this proof of concept works, I shall try the SJ4000 camera route since it has streaming output capabilities.
Ianth3impler

Post by Ianth3impler »

What is your rate? And where are you located? I'm an ET stationed in VA beach.
Demon340

Post by Demon340 »

I was an AS2 at AIMD, Oceania Virginia beach. That was in 2006. I am now in RI, still working for the Navy, but not uniformed.

So pool test went well, minus one tiny leak which I fixed, my fault I overlooked a micro gap but a vacuum test quickly found that.

Camera has the feed back quality of a potato, so a go pro rip off that has streaming capabilities will replace that.

Proof of concept works so least everything works as intended. It was A LOT faster than I thought it would be. Makes a nice wake
while running on the surface. Those 3d printed thruster housings worked very well matched with the 3 bladed propellers recommend by sthone.

Hardest part was getting it ballasted correctly. I had to add a good 10 pounds of weight to get it just barely positively buoyant.

I'll get some video up and pictures of it gracefully swimming shortly.

Converting to motor controllers and Arduino's next. Relays and switches work well, but not practical for long term running.
Attachments
Pool-2.jpg
Pool-2.jpg (727.57 KiB) Viewed 6244 times
Pool-1.jpg
Pool-1.jpg (740.38 KiB) Viewed 6244 times