G4 LED bulb for water proof(?) lighting

Illuminating the Abyss.
bitbrain

G4 LED bulb for water proof(?) lighting

Post by bitbrain »

I have these LED light bulbs I picked up (cheaply) online. They are very small: G4 size, *very bright* (I have 2 watt bulbs), run on 12VDC, and don't require any cooling. And the best thing about these is that they come packaged in an epoxy-like rubbery casing. The only thing exposed to the elements are the pins coming out of the bottom. I am going to do some testing - but these might be ideal for ROV lighting. I am hoping the rubbery casing will keep the water out of the electronics. Don't know if the rubbery casing will protect the bulb at depth (e.g. 2 atmospheres), but I'll try it out and report back!

Once I solder the terminals of the bulb to my wires, I might pour epoxy on the terminals to waterproof the area where the pins enter into the rubbery case, and also insulate the wires from the water. Although the epoxy might not work well, since the epoxy will have a different hardness to the rubbery casing on the bulb.
Attachments
Annotation 2020-05-05 202052.png
Annotation 2020-05-05 202052.png (91.53 KiB) Viewed 12639 times
bigbadbob

Re: G4 LED bulb for water proof(?) lighting

Post by bigbadbob »

Interesting find there Bitbrain.
do you have a link to where you got them?
the acid test of course would be to appoxy them on a 50m wire and drop them over the side of a boat with a weight to take them down.
Oddmar

Re: G4 LED bulb for water proof(?) lighting

Post by Oddmar »

After a bit of creative searching i found these... https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-G4-COB-150 ... SwuLZY6KSC

Digging i found them to be only 220 lumens output. Coated with silicone (which will yellow over time).

In the past i have bought and used, also promoted on here, these... https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Trailer-M ... 66&sr=8-34

624 lumens
Coat them with epoxy resin thinned with denatured alcohol. Direct exposure and work fine at depth. Of course i haven't tested them to 1500m...lol.