Ideas for waterproof housing

Waterproof Housing, Frames, and Buoyancy Methods.
myron07

Ideas for waterproof housing

Post by myron07 »

I have made a PVC pipe ROV in a cubical shape. For the electronics and microcontroller onboard I will need a waterproof housing and for that I was thinking of PVC housing of around 5-6". How do I go about fixing this housing to the PVC frame of the ROV? Also is there any alternative cheaper option for housing?
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-02-10-10-53-03-223_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2020-02-10-10-53-03-223_com.whatsapp.jpg (282.02 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
bigbadbob

Re: Ideas for waterproof housing

Post by bigbadbob »

I use an ABS pipe as a housing.
You can use ABS cement to "glue" ABS brackets to the pipe for attaching clamps to attach it to your frame.
The cement bonds best to ABS and forms a molecular bond not like normal glue, but you can use it to bond ABS to PVC as well.
You can then cement in screw on end caps with gaskets to seal it or do as I do and use threaded rods to clamp acrylic end plates or camera domes to it.
my ABS pipe is 90mm diameter and has 8mm thick walls. you need thick wall "pressure pipe" if you are going to clamp the ends on.
bigbadbob

Re: Ideas for waterproof housing

Post by bigbadbob »

ABS pipe sizes can be found here- https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/ABS-P ... 10.html#B2
and PVC sizes here-https://www.plasticpipeshop.co.uk/PVC-P ... _53-1.html

6" ABS pressure pipe with a 10mm wall or 6" pvc with either 7.5mm or 12mm wall sounds like it would be good, it's not easy to find in short lengths though unless you get lucky with an industrial contractor.
Lots of good info on that site. ;-)
They say- "ABS can be cemented to PVC as long as PVC pipe cement is used; however, our recommendation for this type of join would be maximum pressure of half that of the normal working pressure."
As the working pressures are internal and good for 13Bar (153m of water depth) that won't be a problem unless you want to go seriously deep.

re-your pm: all photo's I have are in my "miniRay" thread, most are hard to see unfortunately as they're on photobucket which now wants a subscription to host pics.