First seafox build

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
Joeschmoe

First seafox build

Post by Joeschmoe »

So I had a project to do for school and I decided to build an ROV. I ended up finding this website and went ahead and followed the information provided about the Seafox to make it happen. So it's only right if I share what I've done and the building process :)
first cuts.jpg
first cuts.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
assem1.jpg
assem1.jpg (337.76 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
assem2.jpg
assem2.jpg (405.81 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
assem3.jpg
assem3.jpg (415.38 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
rov+controller.jpg
rov+controller.jpg (48.7 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
controller.jpg
controller.jpg (382.43 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
contorllloer circuit.jpg
contorllloer circuit.jpg (172.2 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
relay.jpg
relay.jpg (147.52 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
Testing has been limited however cause of lakes being frozen, so I had to make due with what I had to test!
rouv bath.jpg
rouv bath.jpg (31.87 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
So far it seems to be working pretty good, but my floats are oversized so I got to fix this problem. So now I am looking forward to warmer weather to explore the unknown depths of the lake near my house!
Last edited by Joeschmoe on Dec 25th, 2019, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oddmar

Re: First seafox build

Post by Oddmar »

You're off to a good start!!

All i see in your post are image placeholders, i had to right-click, open in imgur to see each one. Dunno...?

I could use some explanation as to what the IC's on the breadboard do.

The floats are fine, just add more weight until it is just slightly positively buoyant. Then when you get near the bottom, you'll have to run your vertical thrusters to keep you there. Water jetting upwards will disturb much less silt than water jetting downwards.

I see your floats are bolted through the frame...make sure there are holes in the top and bottom of the frame, so it can flood during immersion, so the buoyancy doesn't change slowly as water seeps into the hollow frame.

You might put the vertical thrusters on a PWM controller, so you could set a certain level of thrust and leave it there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-Pulse-Widt ... OSwkl5XflA~

Remember to keep your lights as far from your camera as possible, to reduce backscatter off particulate matter floating in the water. Otherwise it's like trying to look through a snowstorm.

For cheap but hella bright LED lights, i bought these and coated them with epoxy resin fiberglass (two part epoxy), local craft store, 5-minute cure. Can be thinned with denatured alcohol. No fancy case needed. Can be dimmed with PWM controller. Controller can be operated by a servo on the ROV. https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Trailer-M ... th=1&psc=1

Here's a 3-axis joystick with button you might like... https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Joystick ... AC8K785XZW

You say the lake is frozen...how frozen? Could you throw together an icehouse and drag it out, chainsaw a hole in the ice, sit next to a propane heater and have fun exploring in the winter? I'd do that here but the water 'clarity' is like looking through wet concrete...lol.
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Could you try reposting the pictures a different way. I couldn't open them a all, and i'd really like to see them.
Joeschmoe

Post by Joeschmoe »

Oddmar wrote:You're off to a good start!!

All i see in your post are image placeholders, i had to right-click, open in imgur to see each one. Dunno...?

I could use some explanation as to what the IC's on the breadboard do.

The floats are fine, just add more weight until it is just slightly positively buoyant. Then when you get near the bottom, you'll have to run your vertical thrusters to keep you there. Water jetting upwards will disturb much less silt than water jetting downwards.

I see your floats are bolted through the frame...make sure there are holes in the top and bottom of the frame, so it can flood during immersion, so the buoyancy doesn't change slowly as water seeps into the hollow frame.

You might put the vertical thrusters on a PWM controller, so you could set a certain level of thrust and leave it there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10A-Pulse-Widt ... OSwkl5XflA~

Remember to keep your lights as far from your camera as possible, to reduce backscatter off particulate matter floating in the water. Otherwise it's like trying to look through a snowstorm.

For cheap but hella bright LED lights, i bought these and coated them with epoxy resin fiberglass (two part epoxy), local craft store, 5-minute cure. Can be thinned with denatured alcohol. No fancy case needed. Can be dimmed with PWM controller. Controller can be operated by a servo on the ROV. https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Trailer-M ... th=1&psc=1

Here's a 3-axis joystick with button you might like... https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Joystick ... AC8K785XZW

You say the lake is frozen...how frozen? Could you throw together an icehouse and drag it out, chainsaw a hole in the ice, sit next to a propane heater and have fun exploring in the winter? I'd do that here but the water 'clarity' is like looking through wet concrete...lol.

Thanks for the information! I'll look into adding these things as I continue to test my ROV. And about your questions, the IC's consist of a PIC16F690 microcontroller and an ULN2803A Darlington transistor chip, the PIC takes the button presses and fires the coils of the relays which control the motors. I'll attach a schematic of the whole system.

And for the ice, I wasn't too sure if the cold could impact the ROV negatively. Also right now the ice is not thick enough, maybe in a few weeks I'll give it a try.

And I just worked out how to attach photos properly!
Control Schematic pt 1.jpg
Control Schematic pt 1.jpg (318.48 KiB) Viewed 7876 times
Control Schematic pt 2.jpg
Control Schematic pt 2.jpg (453.09 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
Joeschmoe

Post by Joeschmoe »

Ian MacKenzie wrote:Could you try reposting the pictures a different way. I couldn't open them a all, and i'd really like to see them.
Fixed the issue! But now for some reason, they are sideways even though the saved pictures upright, I'll look into it.
Ian MacKenzie

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Nice! The ICs are a great idea. I did my first test in a bathtub too.
Attachments
ROV bouyancy test 010.jpg
ROV bouyancy test 010.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 7822 times
Oddmar

Post by Oddmar »

You might try using an older RC Tx with DSC, or even two of them. Look at this thread...
viewtopic.php?t=532