How well do RJ 45 IP68 waterproof connectors work for ROvs?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
rovebuilderguy

How well do RJ 45 IP68 waterproof connectors work for ROvs?

Post by rovebuilderguy »

How well do RJ 45 IP68 waterproof gland connectors (like the following link) work for bringing a cat5 cable through the hull?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... +rj45+IP68

Do they actually keep the water out? How deep could they go without leaking?
Jaman42

Re: How well do RJ 45 IP68 waterproof connectors work for RO

Post by Jaman42 »

One of the biggest problem as I see it is if you get a rip in the outer jacket of the cable, then water will be pouring in. Cat5 cables seems to be a popular choice and the outer jacket isn't very strong. I would say that the cheapest epoxi you could find would do a better job keeping the water out but that's just my two cents
rovebuilderguy

Post by rovebuilderguy »

Yes, that would be a problem if the outer jacket tore! I was planning to fill a short section of the jacket with silicon or epoxy, before it attaches to the hull, to make sure that wouldn't happen.

With these connectors though the outer cat 5 plugs into the part of the connector that is outside the hull. And the part of the connector that is inside the hull has another cat 5 that plugs into it. So it looks like it might be possible to seal off the inside from the outside.

So the benefits of this would be that the tether could be easily disconnected, and the tether itself would not have to penetrate the hull. So as long as the connector was well sealed, the inside of the hull would be isolated from the outside.

So the theory sounds nice.....but I don't know if it actually works in real life that well. :)
Silver dollar

Post by Silver dollar »

rovebuilderguy wrote:Yes, that would be a problem if the outer jacket tore! I was planning to fill a short section of the jacket with silicon or epoxy, before it attaches to the hull, to make sure that wouldn't happen.

With these connectors though the outer cat 5 plugs into the part of the connector that is outside the hull. And the part of the connector that is inside the hull has another cat 5 that plugs into it. So it looks like it might be possible to seal off the inside from the outside.

So the benefits of this would be that the tether could be easily disconnected, and the tether itself would not have to penetrate the hull. So as long as the connector was well sealed, the inside of the hull would be isolated from the outside.

So the theory sounds nice.....but I don't know if it actually works in real life that well. :)
Sounds like a good idea! Keep us posted on the progress.