Does this look right to you?

Control Boards, Controllers, Tethers, Ect.
Flying Squirrel

Does this look right to you?

Post by Flying Squirrel »

Hello everyone,

After a lot of reading and no actual experience with this, this is what I have come up with as the new digital controller design.

If you see anything please let me know.

Here is the system break down schematic.
rossrov

Re: Does this look right to you?

Post by rossrov »

Saw you posted about a week ago and may have moved on in design by now. Anyway, there is no video connection shown, or were you hoping to get video through the Arduino? If so, the Uno lacks the processing power to do video, and the RS485 connection does not have the speed required for video. The Uno will be able to generate the OSD data however, depending on the OSD board.

Not familiar with that compass board, but I think that it will require tilt-compensation (from external accelerometer board) to operate in any practical sense.

Aside from that the layout looks OK. The PS2 shield and the H-bridge boards look interesting so I may check those out myself. Hope that helps.
Flying Squirrel

Thank you for answering.

I was hoping on using Cat5E-STP and piggy backing the video on pins 3 and 6 which are not used for the RS485 communications. . . if that is even possible?

I have not decided on a final camera yet, and for the moment am using a BOSCAM HD19 as I had one on hand, but I know it is ill-suited to the job.

The idea for the OSD came from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1533&hilit=osd

He used HobbyTronics Max7456 breakout for the OSD and a SparkFun triple axis magnetometer (I am trying to copy this exactly) for direction and I am assuming is compensated just from seeing what he has already worked out.

The motor drivers have been switched out already due to supply issues with the manufacturer, but I'll report back on the replacements when I get and test them.

I am new to the Arduino and programming in general so this will be an "adventure", but I really want to see this work.

I hindsight too both of my posts on this project are in the wrong sections, and should be under the newbie section as my background is mechanical systems and not electronics.
vinsub

Post by vinsub »

It is not compensed, you need a IMU.
Flying Squirrel

Thank you. Do you have any recommendations?
Flying Squirrel

So yeah we are adding in this for an IMU.

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/6-dof-gy ... u6050.html
vinsub

Post by vinsub »

I used all-in-one 10dof IMU, i think it is easier way for programming, 9dof is the same thing, for example mpu9150, not the mpu9250, because there aren't more programming example in web! ;)
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Be sure to use video baluns to minimize noise pick up from the 485 lines. I have used this compass https://www.pololu.com/product/2127 and the library that I think is available from that page.
Flying Squirrel

For sure.

I have a noob question: what is the advantage of having more degrees-of-freedom (DOF)? I am not familiar with this term.

My background is aircraft mechanics and I don't think I have ever head this in reference to gyros (and if I did I forgot it).
vinsub

Post by vinsub »

I used this 10dof imu because i have it, but i use a library that shows degrees of pitch and roll, that i used to compensed the compass.