Non typical ROV design...

What are you working on .... Show off your Rov's Projects here.
power

Non typical ROV design...

Post by power »

Greetings all, I have been tinkering around with this idea for some time. I wanted an ROV to mess around with but every design I looked at had so much complexity and all of them are very vulnerable to leaks. I tossed some things around in my head added some old copter parts and this is what I came up with. The design is very simple and straight forward. There is really only a single seal to maintain. If the seal were to leak the design will still not allow most of the components to get wet. I need to add the lights and do a bit of tweaking but the first test for proof of concept went well.

I will add some detailed pictures later in this thread, for now here is the video of the first test. Enjoy...

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61273g_7810
KR2_Diving
Location: Currently: NW Suburbs of Chicago. Originally: NE Wisconsin

Re: Non typical ROV design...

Post by KR2_Diving »

Very neat design! I like the concept of the Wal-Mart Container Hull! I can see the advantage, given the orientation in the water... a little leak, and the water will stay low in the compartment! Very clever!

Can't wait to see some of the details!
fryslan76

Post by fryslan76 »

Nice, find. Do you also have a vertical motor?
power

Post by power »

Thanks, yes I do have a vertical motor. If you look closely at the first pat of the clip you can see the motor mounted on the underside of the container bottom. Since we are on the topic of that thruster, I was not too happy with the downward thrust from the motor. The upward thrust was more than adequate as you can see by the video. When I would give it down control the thrust/water would hit the flat area of the mounting and actually force the water downward. This would cause the ROV to rise if I gave it too much throttle.

I have since extended the thruster and mounted a wonderful 97 cent funnel from Walmart on the bottom mount. This should direct the thrust where it needs to be. I also eliminated the copter landing gear by incorporating the thruster mount tubes into legs. I like simple and eliminating parts always makes me happy. I will be testing the new mods soon, I will post updates. Here are some pics of the mods...

Mike
Attachments
4-1-3.jpg
4-1-3.jpg (689.47 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
3-2-2.jpg
3-2-2.jpg (566.96 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
2-3-4.jpg
2-3-4.jpg (618.91 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
1-4-1.jpg
1-4-1.jpg (663.66 KiB) Viewed 4603 times
sthone

Post by sthone »

Pretty awesome... are those Helicopter tail booms? It reminds me of Vincent from the movie "The Black Hole" now. :lol:

Your always going to have more forward thrust than reverse that's just the nature of most props but that funnel fix should make a good bit of a difference I'm betting.

Keep up the great work.. let us know how it goes.

-Steve :sting:
rossrov

Post by rossrov »

Hi Mike. I like this ROV a lot. Very original. The funnel cowling is something I have employed though not for vertical. Videos are great, sci-fi quirky.