Hello from Jacksonville, Florida! [LMB]

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
Goodluckfox

Hello from Jacksonville, Florida! [LMB]

Post by Goodluckfox »

Mockup of LMB frame
Mockup of LMB frame
LMBframe.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
LMB stands for Lionfish Murder Bot. That's what I am going to try to build.

Lionfish are beautiful creatures that belong in the Pacific. On the East Coast of the United States, however, they are a recent invader and are playing hell with our reef ecosystems and fisheries. Some fish need killin', to paraphrase The Duke.

I am an attorney now, but I used to be an information systems guy, and before that I got through three years of Electrical Engineering in undergrad; This means I have just enough knowledge and money to be dangerous. :)

I bought the Blue Book, and next to my office is a makerspace with a full shop. I am hopeful that between the various resources I have available that I can build a remote control lionfish killing ROV. :)
sthone

Re: Hello from Jacksonville, Florida! [LMB]

Post by sthone »

Welcome to the forum...

This should be am interesting project to follow. Are there any regulations when it comes to harvesting lion fish?

I'm curious as to what your methods are going to be? Rapid fire gatling spear gun maybe? :lol:

Better watch out <>< the LMB is coming.. :shock:

-Steve :sting:
Goodluckfox

Re: Hello from Jacksonville, Florida! [LMB]

Post by Goodluckfox »

Thanks!

Nope, no regulations whatsoever. No seasons, no bag limits, not even a fishing license required. They are supposedly very tasty eating, and there is talk of trying to establish a commercial fishery for lionfish. Basicly eat the problem away. :) I do have a fising license, though, so if I see a tasty tasty cobia or grouper or red snapper I might be willing to shoot one. But the real goal is to clear the lionfish from the reefs so they don't impact out vitally important commercial and recreation fishing.

The weapon system will probably be some kind of re-settable spear. I wish a high powered laser were a possibility, but divers have tried using high powered laser pointers on the lionfish with no effect; they dont' even blind them, let alone damage them.