Eastern Washington Newcomer

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
BetterOffShred

Eastern Washington Newcomer

Post by BetterOffShred »

Hey there all. My name is Brett and I'm interested in building an ROV! ;)

I'm 37, I live in Eastern Washington, and I work as a Mechanical Engineer for a power utility company. Our Civil engineers actually have a little ROV that they currently use to inspect various parts of our Dams that are underwater which initially peaked my interest. I've been into RC cars and drones for years (Yeah, I had a Tamiya Blackfoot, and a Clodbuster) and I'm pretty handy and have a pretty decent assortment of tooling and power tools.

I find everyone has a tendency to kind of go really big on their expectations of their first project and then give up usually, so I'm going to do the opposite and try and build something really rudimentary and get it up and running before I go after the prize. That being said I do want to build something useful!

I think my first build I'd like to be able to get down to about 100 feet or so, mostly for local lake dives, there's rumors of an old steam engine at the bottom of one near here! I think I'm planning on running off a big battery on shore and running power cabling down the tether, I acquired 4 Caterpillar 4D batteries, they weight like 130lbs each, loads of power. I have some experience with Raspberry Pi and Arduino, but I think I might try and go for simple controls and video interface for the first ROV and save that stuff for later.

Anyway, thanks for joining me up and I look forward to sharing my progress and learning from what's here!
-Brett
Ian MacKenzie

Re: Eastern Washington Newcomer

Post by Ian MacKenzie »

Welcome to the group. I don't think you'll run out of power with those monsters!