Hello from Jersey!

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
UROV Ligan

Hello from Jersey!

Post by UROV Ligan »

After many years of wanting to build an ROV, my dream has finally come true. Based off of a Raspberry Pi 2, UROV Ligan has HD video streaming, an IMU, GPS, depth sensor, and a leak detection system. The MMI is a FrSky Taranis+ which has the ability to connect to a computer using USB, which gives the device fully proportional control. All the programing is done in Python.

I will post more in the Raspberry Pi thread.
Attachments
DSCN3897a.JPG
DSCN3897a.JPG (697.03 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Electronics sled
Electronics sled
DSCN3821.JPG (714.8 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Main propulsion
Main propulsion
DSCN2200.JPG (718.92 KiB) Viewed 3017 times
Moki

Re: Hello from Jersey!

Post by Moki »

So many questions...

- whats the plan with the gps?
- how do you plan to dive (or resurface after the dive)?
- rudders only work with speed (i think) what is the turning radius of your urov?
UROV Ligan

Re: Hello from Jersey!

Post by UROV Ligan »

OK, no problem... :)

GPS: it will only work on the surface but it will give me a referenced location (IMU is not referenced and will drift w/ time)

Dive and Resurface: The whole unit is VERY SLIGHTLY (a couple of grams) positively buoyant with the cg slightly below the center of buoyancy. This allows the whole unit to "fly" like an airplane in all three dimensions.

Yes, the only down side to this design is you do have to be moving in order for it to be controllable. It is designed to go places fast and explore not pick things up and bring them back to the surface. As for turning radius... I have no idea, it will depend on speed and I haven't tested it in a bigger space than a bathtub yet. The motor is reversible though so turning radius should not be a huge issue.