Hello all from Cornwall, UK

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
stevetyphoon

Hello all from Cornwall, UK

Post by stevetyphoon »

Hi All,

Just a quick introduction: I'm an electronics guy, who has been working with ROVs for 20 years. I have been involved in building, maintaining, upgrading and repairing several different types of ROVs over the years mainly for small UK based companies.
In recent years I 'upgraded' working in Norway for Subsea 7 and more recently Technip as a senior project engineer. However these roles were more office based and then supervisory when offshore so had no real hands on experience of the detailed workings of work class ROV systems.
I have a plan to use a small observational ROV for boat trips for punters to see wrecks and sea life in Greece, where we are relocating later this year.
I have had to teach myself C++ so as to be able to program two Arduinos for the mini ROV control system. I am very happy that I have that all working nicely, I have just put together the electronics bottle and frame using waste pipe bits and pieces! So I am almost there and looking forward to seeing how stable and easy it is to 'fly'.
Cheers
Steve
Bindo

Re: Hello all from Cornwall, UK

Post by Bindo »

Hi Steve,

welcome to the forum from north east scotland!

I did a stint with Technip just before the bubble burst which ignited my interest in ROV's, i was working with XL's and XLX's, and did the FAT's for XLX126 and XLX127 in kirkbymoorside.

I was based in the RSU (or RIS as it's now known) workshop in Westhill.

Have a rake through my old posts, or search for "micro DIY ROV" on youtube and you'll see my first ROV.

My second ROV will be arduino controlled, i'm playing around with the idea of fiber optic control systems, but still looking for reasonably priced options.