Maryland says hello!

Newbies say hello and introduce yourself.
orangeltr456

Maryland says hello!

Post by orangeltr456 »

Hello all!
My name is Ryan, I am a college student studding mechanical engineering, I was introduced to robotics in high school and love it, I race quad motocross and build anything I can.

I would like to start by thanking Steve and all members for this awesome forum, has given me a lot of ideas. I would be proud to help others as well.

This is my 3rd rov, 1st was a seaperch kit in high school, my team got first place at the regional competition, second was a "rov in a box" kit for the college's Bio lab. You can imagine it was a failure. The kit is a step up from the seaperch but still not a very good design. and finally this project. INITIAL DRAWING in autodesk inventor

It still needs a name. Is in the end of its design stage, but very open to modifications.
Goal
Reliably be able to dive to 150 FT in the Chesapeake bay and its watersheds; Video the seabed( to investigate a phenomenon caused by methane being released from the mud) and generally map the area; take samples including sediment cores, water, temperature, ect...

Design
Rov is approximately 18in wide X 20in tall X 36in long. Roughly 35 lbs.
The frame work is to be made of 3/4 in sch40 pvc, Main buoy made of 4 in sch40 pvc, Dynamic Buoy 3in sch 40 pvc(when filled with water it is neutral air can be added to provide up to 20 lbs additional buoyancy
Electronics housing 4in aluminum pipe with flange and end cap( aluminum for cooling )
Propulsion is to be 5-7 Johnson 1250 Gph bilge pumps with 50 mm props, 1 or 2 or vert, 2 left, 2 right, 1 lat.
Plan on having 2 cameras, 1 pan tilt forward facing, 1 stationary down. ( possibly a gripper arm)
Controlled by a VEX robotics Cortex Microcontroller( land based) and joystick remote ( prototype land bot built for testing controll logic, controls should be easy to use for anyone)
Power is to be provided by 3 12v batteries, (UB1280) 2 for motors (switchable between 12v and 24V) 1 cameras and sensors to avoid noise from pwm signals. ( no one likes waves in the monitor)

I have alot of ideas and few have been executed yet. BUT the good news is, as any good engineer I will have all my plans drawn simulated and ideas tested before beginning my build.
scubersteve

Re: Maryland says hello!

Post by scubersteve »

Sounds like a fun, ambitious design.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Remember... we love pictures!
<><